View Full Version : DC vs. Marvel

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Priestvyrce
May 15th, 2004, 10:10 PM
Are you a Marvel zombie or a DC fanatic? Do just read one company or another or both or neither?

Me, I like them both though I probably lean more towards the DC side though I do pick up titles from other companies like Image's Invincble or Dark Horse's Conan and Freaks In The Heartland(truely a rural gothic tale).

So which company do you spend your money on?

Zsinj
May 16th, 2004, 02:33 PM
I guess I'm a bit like you are, Priestvyrce, in my choice/taste in comics. I like both DC and Marvel and I also like Image/Wildstorm comics and Dark Horse. I like the campy, superhero comics such as Spider-Man, Superman, Wolverine, X-Men, Stormwatch, The Authority, Hellboy, and JLA, but what I like even more is the more gritty, dark, hard-hitting comics such as Batman,Nightwing, Spawn, Daredevil, The Creech, and Sin City because they seem to have a more realistic, multi-dimensional edge than the other titles.

Blackwing
May 18th, 2004, 07:56 AM
I like both and some others, too.

I grew up with Marvel's comics because that is what they publish most (and most time exclusively) in Finland.

Keyoke
May 18th, 2004, 06:40 PM
I tend to look forward to the New Marvel titles better, but, it seems of lates, that it's DC titles that I am enjoying mostly.

It could be that I really read Marvel when I was young, so, usually, the stories don't hold alot of su sprises for me, where, when I read DC, it's all new.

Both companies are offering excellent choices, and many of them are sealing writers & artists to work exclusively for them.

It's tough.. If I had to choose.. Hrm... Let me think.. DC right now. :)

Keyoke

funky_fantasist
May 23rd, 2004, 05:41 AM
- but I grew up reading Marvel & was truely brand loyal! I would never have considered reading a DC title! Considered them amateurs! I've no dea what Marvel did to inspire such loyalty in me - hmmm, possibly the large format b&w Conan's with the sublime J Buscema & Ernie Chan artwork... Or possibly, The X-Men or The Avengers... I was in love with the Vision! Yeah, I know, I was a weird kid!!!

I happen to know quite a few famous fantasy writers were also Marvel comic collectors in their youth!

Make Mine Marvel!

Funky
:D

Leonidas
February 27th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Prefer Marvel myself; growing up in the 70's and 80's, they seemed more "realistic" than DC, excepting Batman.

More interesting to me, is the "what if" battles betwwen the two comapines. For example, who'd win; Superman vs Thor? Batman vs Captain America? Green Lantern vs Silver Surfer, etc.?

Muess
February 27th, 2006, 09:49 AM
I preferred Marvel when I was growing up.

The only comic I have purchased recently though is the adaption of GRRM's Hedge Knight. I will probably pick up Feist's Magician also when it's released, so I guess it's less about brand loyalty and more about the content for me these days.

I loved Marvel during the 80s and early 90s but they lost me when they started printing 15 different X-Men titles with a million lose plot threads. The launch of the Ultimate line was the nail in the coffin for me.

Yobmod
February 28th, 2006, 11:10 AM
I grew up reading Marvel & was truely brand loyal! I would never have considered reading a DC title! Considered them amateurs! I've no dea what Marvel did to inspire such loyalty in me

Same here. I used to only read marvel, and never touched anything DC. I made no conscious decision about which to read (i was given a stack of old xmen comics), but once i started i was foolishly loyal. The comic shop shelved the DC comics seperately, i always thought they were a bit shoddy looking. :D Plus too many titles focusing one one hero - eventually marvel had too many titles too, but these were usually for the superhero teams, so it felt more reasonable.

[]I loved Marvel during the 80s and early 90s but they lost me when they started printing 15 different X-Men titles with a million lose plot threads. The launch of the Ultimate line was the nail in the coffin for me.

I gave up when i came to uni. I simply couldn't afford all the x-affiliated titles (at 2.60 each, they cost more than a weeks rent all together). Also, the presence of the TV cartoon and film inspired x-titles really put me off - i no longer believed in the company's artistic integrity even slightly.

kater
February 28th, 2006, 03:18 PM
More interesting to me, is the "what if" battles betwwen the two comapines. For example, who'd win; Batman vs Captain America?

That one kinda took place in Marvel vs DC but they ended up working together in the end :D

I've always been a huge DC fan. I'm not a big Superman fan but I can't get enough of Batman and the JLA. The added bonus of titles like Preacher, 100 Bullets and The Losers etc makes it even better. Marvel always seemed to have a lot of so-so titles that I could never really get into: Fantastic Four, Thor, Hulk and even Spiderman to an extent. Being about the right age to have loved the X-Men cartoon, I moved into the comics for a while but got fed up following so many different teams and characters that always seemed to change.

Yobmod
March 1st, 2006, 07:09 AM
I moved into the comics for a while but got fed up following so many different teams and characters that always seemed to change.

lol, that was the best part.

Especially the yearly appocolypse that resulted in a whole new team roster, which would maybe last 3 months before the old characters returned and the 3rd rate new characters were dropped to occasional supporting roles with inconsistant personalities.

Phoenix is dead again? Noooooo!!!!!............................

(oh wait, she's alive again? lets start a new team!)