View Full Version : Battlefield Earth

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Turrisi
November 23rd, 1999, 02:35 PM
http://www.battlefieldearth.com
This looks exciting! I read this book when it came out & couldn't put it down.

bookfreak13
November 23rd, 1999, 06:09 PM
In my opinion the book, Battlefield Earth,(the one by L. Ron Hubbard, right?)was way to long for it's storyline. I mean, they beat the bad aliens(forgot their names, sorry)but then there is something like 500 more pages to read. Not only that, but in those 500 pages the page of the story slows down so much, that I felt like quitting the book(still finished it though). I'm sorry if I sound mean, but in my opinion Battlefield Earth just wasn't that great.

Turrisi
November 23rd, 1999, 11:48 PM
That may be true. Still enjoyed it though. However thr movie should be pretty good considering the cast & crew. That's what I was referring to in the post as this is the film forum.

Black Echo
February 20th, 2001, 02:52 AM
Just rented BE on video, it lasted about a week locally, bad reviews. After reading (crawling) through the first 400 or so pages of BE the book and then turning it in to the local used book store unread/unfinished, I have to say the movie was kind of fun to watch.

The FX were really good, the ruins especially. The dialog was pretty good as well though the story (greed being the downfall) has been done a million times before and is nothing new.

My favorite quote from the movie was where they were at Hood military base, and Johnny was showing them all the Harrier jump jets in the hangers and one tribal asked him what they were.

Johnny: "Flying weapons."
Tribal: "You mean like flying ... spears?!"
Johnny: "Well, it's a bit more complicated that that..."

I was ROTFLOL!

BE (the movie, not me) is a good movie to watch if you are in a campy "Spaced Invaders" kind of mood and have a pizza and/or beer / soda in abundance. The less you pay for the rental, the better you will feel. http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Still, from what I could remember, it was far truer to the book than say, Starship Troopers the movie was.

Erebus
March 5th, 2001, 09:01 PM
Yeah, the movie was good, but not a patch on the book. So much was left out and they really only filmed about a third of the novel in any case! I guess that's where the good old Hollywood sequel comes in!