Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

magnet111
May 21st, 2004, 03:00 PM
Here is the link to the device

http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=dnodno

This place also gives the plans to make the device away free and also you can get the device free in cirtain cases. Any opinion and thoughts on this?

Ouroboros
May 21st, 2004, 04:22 PM
That's a minute of my life I will never have back.

tingmakpuk
May 21st, 2004, 04:36 PM
Alex needs to have clinical studies done on the product if he wants to be taken seriously. Otherwise, we'll all just think he's a con-artist, and a rather hacky one at that.

ironchef texmex
May 21st, 2004, 05:07 PM
My first novel concerned immortality.

It's funny because I took the link over in the sci/fi section to cliches and found that "finding a simple cure for death and making humanity immortal" made the list.

Now, for the MORE SCIENCE THAN YOU REALLY WANTED portion of the show:

Aging is genetic. Your body is programmed to die by its own DNA. No, really. There's a congenital disorder where the body ages too rapidly. Eight-year-olds covered with liver spots dying of colon cancer, very sad.

People are speding millions to study the causes and the current theory is that a group of genes in conjunction with RNA cause the cells to divide more imperfectly over time and improper cell division causes the gradual decline in bodily functions.

A ring that can fix that? neat! Now everyone can live to be a thousand.

At least it would be neat if overpopulation, global warming, and overall political buttheadedness weren't about to turn our little chunk of heaven into something out of the worst Brian Aldiss novel. "Live forever and get to see the earth when it really gets bad!"

Toodles :D

choppy
May 21st, 2004, 05:47 PM
A lot of stories deal with immortality and "cures" for death. I've found a common conclusion is that death is a necessary part of the human condition. Without death, people wouldn't be motivated to do anything. The "I'll do it tommorrow" attitude would be far too prevalent. Because life is finite, we are driven to accomplish our goals so that there might be some evidence that we existed at all.

That doesn't mean that it's outside of our nature to seek a means to cheat it.

xayaxos
May 21st, 2004, 11:45 PM
I just finished reading the Night's Dawn trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton and it covers topics which are pretty similar. Actually, it's dead people come back to life by possessing the living and they consider themselves as immortal. The only problem is, they still have to eat and nobody wants to do the farming. After all, a world where everybody lives forever should be a workless heaven, right?

I didn't think the body had "poles" as in the magnetic kind.

Ivyn
May 22nd, 2004, 03:59 PM
Call me crazy but I'm thinking about ordering those rings.

:o

tingmakpuk
May 22nd, 2004, 08:19 PM
Watch out for the small print that says you'll give your soul to Sauron.

:rolleyes:

PaxNoctis
May 25th, 2004, 10:30 PM
Death is the price we pay for the ability to reproduce. Thanateros and all that ;p.

I tend to keep this particular facet in mind when I deal with immortal characters. That the inherit inhumanities that'll manifest after a few centuries.

kahnovitch
May 26th, 2004, 08:00 AM
A ring that makes you immortal? I wonder where he got that idea.

You have to laugh at things like this, especially when reading the "how it works" section with technical terms for the human anatomy like "skin", "meat" and "contaminated body parts".

This guy looks like he didn't pass basic biology but he wants us to believe he's created an immortality device.
Oh brother! :rolleyes: