PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Who - OMG! It's true! It's true!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

funky_fantasist
May 25th, 2004, 07:53 AM
Dr Who's new assistant :eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/3743753.stm

Mind you... I suppose (says she grudgingly) it might be a deliberate choice as a kind of 'foil' for Chris Ecclestone's supposed 'dark edge'... hmm, I'll need convincing...

Funky
:(

Oorag
June 15th, 2004, 02:19 AM
I like Chris Ecclestone, I have no idea who this other person is.

kahnovitch
June 30th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Hmmm. Not too optimistic about either choice really.
Billie Piper is famous in the UK for two things
A. One hit record.

B Marrying Chris Evans, who is considered (in the UK) to be one of the most annoying people ever born.

But then a lot of Dr Who's assistants did look like ex-children'sTV presenters, so I guess in that sense Ms Piper (or Mrs Evans) fits the bill.

Tom Baker was and is the definitive Dr Who for me as I grew up watching him and I liked his style.
Don't know what happened with Richard E Grant, but he sounded perfect for the part.

Nevermind!
It'll be interesting to see what they do with it with today's special effects. Plus I wonder if the Daleks can be still be thwarted by their evil nemesis; "The staircase", and are still sporting the old egg whisk and sink plunger, weapons combo! :p

Hobbit
July 8th, 2004, 03:32 PM
OH DEAR.....

As if the above wasn't bad enough, the latest from the BBC website is:

THE DALEKS WILL NOT BE APPEARING.......

See here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/3859651.stm) for details.....

Hobbit

Archmage
July 9th, 2004, 02:45 PM
*Ducks and hides from all the British folks on this forum* I never really liked Dr. Who. They play it from time to time over here in the states. Just never got into it. Maybe I just didn't see enough episodes. The same goes for Red Dwarf. Everyone says that is outstanding, but it never really appealed to be. I would compare them both to say...Battlestar Gallactica. Is my comparison way off my friends. Have I simply just not experienced enough of Dr. Who ??

funky_fantasist
July 9th, 2004, 04:07 PM
I think most british people of a certain age just like the nostalgia of the whole thing - a whole generation grew up hiding behind the couch from about the age of 5!!! ;)

However - Red Dwarf! :eek: Are you kidding! How can you NOT laugh!!! It's a classic! Go have a couple of beers and get your mates round and watch any episode with "Ace Rimmer" in (or my fave which is the Wild West one with Cat being "The Riviera Kid!" So cool. :cool:

Cheers
Funky

Archmage
July 10th, 2004, 01:57 PM
I think most british people of a certain age just like the nostalgia of the whole thing - a whole generation grew up hiding behind the couch from about the age of 5!!! ;)

However - Red Dwarf! :eek: Are you kidding! How can you NOT laugh!!! It's a classic! Go have a couple of beers and get your mates round and watch any episode with "Ace Rimmer" in (or my fave which is the Wild West one with Cat being "The Riviera Kid!" So cool. :cool:

Cheers
Funky

Thanks for the recommendations. Next time they decide to show Red Dwarf again over here, I will check out it in more detail. Have you ever seen Lexx ?? It is on the Sci Fi channel. It is kinda in a similiar style to Red Dwarf, with the comedic aspects. Lexx is freakin hillarious, and has great special affects on top of that. So much inuendo (I am spelling that word wrong,I know) and adult humor (not recommended for kids) It cracks me up. Also the new show they had this past season on the Sci Fi Channel, Tripping The Rift, was sooo funny. It was all done in Computer Graphics/Animation and its hillarious.

Peace :)

milamber_reborn
July 10th, 2004, 10:10 PM
I wasn't sold on Billie Piper at first, but she does have the companion look, like a modern-day Jo Grant.

No daleks is a blessing in my book. I don't hear an outcry about there being no Master (which would have been cool if they found someone who can compete with the original 2 actors and doesn't look like Eric Roberts). There are a limited number of episodes, so why waste a few of them on a formulaic Dalek story. Better to wow us with new and unpredictable stuff.

Still no word on whether Paul McGann will be back for a continuity regeneration.

Check out this page for some great goss about the potential storylines and the possiblity of more than one season: http://www.gallifreyone.com/newseriesfaq.php

As for Red Dwarf, it rocks.

Hobbit
August 6th, 2004, 12:56 PM
*bumps back up*
If only to say that, for those who didn't know, the BBC and the Terry Nation Estate have now sorted their differences out and the Daleks WILL be appearing.... BBC article here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/3535588.stm)

Been all over the news here in the UK, though SFX Magazine did point out a few days ago that despite the gloom and doom comments, discussions were continuing.

Still not convinced about Billie, nor that the series can match the hype already developing...but determined to keep an open mind. :) Even Michael Grade's prepared to be convinced! :eek:

LATER EDIT (POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOLLOW): Funnily enough, this article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/3913205.stm) points out where the new series starts. There was an episode of the 1960's Avengers TV series that was set in a department store 'gone bad', too! Funny how these things come around....

Hobbit

Mithfânion
August 12th, 2004, 04:42 PM
OMG! It's true! It's true!

Damn I was sure this thread was going to be about the upcoming Transformers movie :)