View Full Version : Letters Of Seshendra

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

SeshendraSharma
May 31st, 2004, 02:31 AM
In defence of People and Poetry

Seshendra is not an individual but a movement Excerpts from his letters entitled in Defence of people & Poetry Secondary carry his incisive views on the contemporary Indian scene of thought. The reader will find in these pages the multidimensional vision of the poet who has made a colossal impact on the in this country; both are exploited by all and sundry entirely for.

He holds the view that people & Poetry are defenceless
Thus arises the primary duty of the honest and the intellectual to rescue them and build once again their defences, resurrect living thought, and re-establish the genuine intellectual processes of reason and enquiry. Only such of the excerpts from his point of view. Names of those to whom these letters were addressed and passages of personal and private nature have been carefully removed. The material in this volume is of purely literary interest and concerns the topics of the present epoch.

References about Telugu Poetry found in some of the letters are not a recent development in his thinking. As early as in April 1958 he addressed a letter to The Hindu with reference to J.B.S. Haldane on Telugu dated 27-4-58.

“Will all these advantages it is surprising to see that not much of original literature in produced in Telugu so far since the beginning of its career in the 11th century ndian soil …Then is we turn to English, Urdu, Sanskrit and other languages we find many original productions…In the present period original works can be counted on fingers. The bulk of it represents only gross plagiarism. It is not able to cater in any useful manner either to the taste of the common man or the intellectual. Both sections are naturally turning to other languages for deriving the benefits of reading. I feel the Telugu writers should devote more time to thought than for writing”.

In an article called “Post Independence Literature” which appeared in Andhra Prabha Daily, 1962 (included in his collection of essays Oohalo, 1968) he comments bitterly on the lack of original thinking in Telugu Literature.

This volume “In Defence of people and poetry” o presents crystallised thought on different issues of the 20th century felt and experienced n the I
--Publisher’s Note.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
LETTERS OF SESHENDRA

I. A problem indeed what an irremediable problem I am faced with. It is a feeling of a whole country hurting me then, where to run for refuge? A person who acquires complete consciousness of all climes and conditions of human existence is the very person most hurt, not the common man who has not developed this cursed consciousness.
Evil has been haunting the world despite many men of action who rose up against it. . In all times and in all centuries’ thinkers, crusaders, honest and truthful men were humiliated and persecuted. Despite this historical threat. I cannot change you see.

!! I shall pass on to the aspect of what my philosophical eye perceives in the poet and his tools of work.

Poetry is a struggle between language and human experience. Poet the chosen medium to express the local experience of man on earth is an eternal; adventurer scaling to the peaks of expression while the language which is the product of common people and pedestrian experience and which alone is available to the poet in his adventure. keeps failing him. It is on these struggles of the poet that the common language arrives at levels of sublimity in the expression of higher experience.

The growing understanding of life by man is not merely the effect of external experience gained by age but in truth a gradual flowering of ones own soul.

When the flower of the soul blossoms and its fragrance begins to waft on the breeze, an attempt to bring it under one division of other of creative art as romanticism, classicism, surrealism, or any other ism is too much of a gross approach to too subtle a thing which transcends, the mere physical plane of human experience. No attempt at a formal denomination of that state of creation can ever be successful.

Each emotional and intellectual stress of each instance of intense experience that I pass through, is a step higher in my mountaineering of poetic peaks, for, I look upon thins around and things within thereafter, only from that level.

Rocket Sheep
May 31st, 2004, 09:19 AM
Fair enough, and so thoughtful of him to advise a genre fiction community of his plight considering we are so often overlooked by those of a literary persuasion.

However, unless his multidimensional poetry actually encounters another dimension or physically transcends the human plane, it is unlikely to find much interest here.

Complete sentences, funnily enough, are also appreciated by us genre-type plebs, and while you're at it, some big action, impressive weapons, a bit of strange new world worldbuilding and costumes might be appreciated.

Rocket Sheep
June 1st, 2004, 08:05 AM
I'm not being too harsh am I?

It's just very hard to find relevancy or the sense in the above post.

I'm sure the folks at the South African Social Club (http://www.sasc.dk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=257) and those at a few other forums are wondering too.

I'm wondering how much of the content has been borrowed from someone else without their knowledge. I say this because bits are missing and technically, quoting more than a line is a copyright violation. Unless the poster can verify that they wrote the above, it may be wise to remove it.

But I wish the poster every success with his/her campaign... whatever it is.

choppy
June 1st, 2004, 02:16 PM
I don't think you're being too harsh, RS.

This is a forum for the discussion of writing Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror (and other genre fiction). It looks like the above is an argument about poetry and philosophy of some sort. I think it would be more than fair to post stuff such as: opening a fantasy chapter with poetry, or the difference between flash fiction and poetry, or even how best to convey philosphical ideas through literature. Or if this is just something posted for critique - that would be acceptable too - although I think it should be identified as such.

SeshendraSharma
June 2nd, 2004, 11:48 PM
Dear Friends!Hearty Greetings

I have read your replies.
The world we are living in today is a closely interwoven web of a plethora of
intellectual acitivities.
We cannot live in isolation or in ivory towers.
You are comments though I accept them in all humility
I would like to say that they are not in keeping with the stature/or grace of the forum.
By mistake I may have posted it in a wrogh section.That does not mean that you draw your swords and pounce upon me.
there are have been some spell mistakes and incorrect formation of senteces
that took place in keying it.
Please develop fraternal rapport with other faculties.
"Let million flowers blossom
let thousond thoughts contend"
with season's best wishes/greetings
Seshendra Sharma

Rocket Sheep
June 3rd, 2004, 12:12 AM
To Arms! Draw your swords! Drive the scourge from our lands!

Nah, just kidding. :D

At least the 'senteces' and 'spell' mistakes in your last post make sense. I'm still not sure about what you are defending, who "he" is and where Telugu Poetry fits in or its relevance to speculative fiction. Perhaps use short simple sentences to explain it to me. I am only a sheep after all.

kahnovitch
June 4th, 2004, 05:39 AM
I would like to say that they are not in keeping with the stature/or grace of the forum.

It's a little pointless quoting forum etiquette to Sheepie, as she's a moderator here.
The problem with your post is that it comes across like a sermon. Are you trying to enlighten us with some great wisdom, or are you just sharing some work for critique and feedback?
Your reasons for you post are not very clear, so members aren't sure exactly what you expect them to reply with.

Rocket Sheep
June 4th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Phew, I thought you were going to say it is pointless quoting etiquette to Sheepie because she won't get it!

I've got a bit of stature but it's all over the place, not a scrap of grace to keep it under control.

In the post above it is hard to say who 'him' is. Whether, him, the movement, is lamenting the state of Telugu poetry or bagging it. I really think that the poster should "devote more time to thought than for writing.

BECAUSE a bit of research actually shows that Seshendra Sharma was a bit of a cool dude, more of a political poet than a speculative fiction one, altho, Turned Into Water and Fled Away has speculative possibilities as a title.

"His poems salute both the rivers rushing to fields to save the starved and the trigger-happy fingers shooting those who betray the people." Which are noble causes but technically political or literary, not speculative.

Why the poster is mass promoting Seshendra Sharma (a search shows exactly the same garbled post on half a dozen equally unsuitable messageboards) is also unknown.