SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jacquin
June 5th, 2004, 11:36 AM
Hi guys

It's been a while since I've posted here and I feel pretty bad because I've let the exercises slip. I can't even remember how many we've done! :D

So anyway, I figure it's about time for another one, does anyone have any suggestions or should I just get to it?

J

Dawnstorm
June 6th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Exercise 6 (http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7730) kind of slipped from the front page without coming to a conclusion... Wouldn't worry too much, RL is kind of important, isn't it? ;)

I've been wondering whether we could re-write the classics, something along those lines...

Or turn fiction into poetry?

Anyway, good to see you back. :)

JRMurdock
June 7th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Don't feel bad. Please don't. We just missed you is all.

I have a suggestion, if I may be so bold.

Pick an author (this would probably be your favorite, but doesn't have to be) and pick one or more of his/her characters. Without altering the personality of the character(s). Place the character(s) into a scene that you felt was mis-written, missing, or that you'd just plain like to see them in.

And once again, Welcome Bac Jaq!

JRMurdock
June 14th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Jaq? (Can I call you Jaq-e-poo?)

You seem to have fallen off the face of the virtual earth again. Have you fallen and cannot get up? Hmm, I doubt you'd answer that one if you had.

Will there be another exercise? Will Jaq come back, again? Will Maus ever shut the **** up?

Stay tuned for our next episode 'The back of Jaq' or 'Lick my yak!'

Jacquin
June 14th, 2004, 12:56 PM
I'm here my glorious Maus!

I have been thinking about the exercise, I think using other people's characters goes against SFF policy. Fan fiction isn't allowed unfortunately.

I like the idea about poetry, but then I also like the idea of playing with tenses...

I will endeavour to get something up asap, I promise :cool:

Take Care

J

Holbrook
June 14th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Jaq? (Can I call you Jaq-e-poo?)'

You wouldn't call him that if you had looked at him down the length if a sword, (real as in sword fighting.;) )

Edited because in it's original form it looked as if I had put my size 7 in it again

JRMurdock
June 14th, 2004, 01:26 PM
I'm here my glorious Maus!
Glad to know you're alive and [hopefully] kicking.

You wouldn't call him that if you had looked at him down the length if a sword, (real as in sword fighting. ;))
A penguin with a sword...hmmm... those two combined don't scream scary. With the short flappy wings they can't fly with and all. I'll have to dwell on the evil eye that may be starring at me down the blade.

Are gnomes taller than penguins? Another thought to ponder.

Jacquin
June 15th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Glad to know you're alive and [hopefully] kicking.

A penguin with a sword...hmmm... those two combined don't scream scary. With the short flappy wings they can't fly with and all. I'll have to dwell on the evil eye that may be starring at me down the blade.

Are gnomes taller than penguins? Another thought to ponder.

I'm about, my internet time is much more limited than before but I will do my best to get here as often as I can...

For a pic of my with training sword and without the penguin suit go here (http://gallery.the-exiles.org/albums/album08/aap.sized.jpg)I am the psycho on the left. This was at a national seminar I gave on C13th Sword and Buckler combat...

Anyway this is all getting frighteningly off topic and so on with the exercise!

We've covered perspective and I think it might be fun be look at tense...

For this one I'd like you to write a piece in the past tense, use whichever perspective you like. It should be no more than 400 words. Then once we've got a few I'll post up the next bit...

Get writing my pretty minions! ;)

J

Hereford Eye
June 15th, 2004, 04:58 PM
There were moments in the past when he froze, couldn’t move a muscle, petrified into a candidate for the forest in northern Arizona. Basic fear and nothing more but that says so much more than people give it credit. Basic fear cripples as well as any of its more advanced cousins.
On this day, when he froze, the air was cold from too much refrigeration on an early summer day and the cold shivers complimented the nervous shivers that kept his body aware he was still there. Lights on, ten o’clock in the morning sunshine, curtains open. The only darkness around was that in the corners of his brain, the places he wanted to go hide but couldn’t find at this moment that he needed them, his mind resembling another tool kit in a long line tool kits in his life that always seemed to be lacking the right tool for the current application.
Across the room from him stood an equally terrified man, boy really. He, too, was shaking violently, apparently as appalled at what he was doing as Jim. What he was doing was trying to aim a pistol, hold it pointed at Jim who was supposed to be the target. The pistol was the boy’s major negotiation strategy; the prize was all the money Jim possessed. Jim’s counter offer consisted mostly in standing rigid, immobile in all parts of his body including his eyes; they were locked onto his end of the pistol’s barrel.
So intensely did he stare at the pistol, his mind did not register the “Giving me the money, man. Do it now!” that his ears faithfully reported hearing. It didn’t matter; his brain was not ready to deal with making words in reply. Jim just stood there, sweating of course; trembling, too, but not a voluntary muscle movement anywhere on his body. Even his lids forgot to blink.
The fury of police entering and subduing the truant, the eventual return to normalcy as police and bad guy went away, the voices of family and friends, these things eventually registered. Time passed and Jim’s body found its way back to stable, his mind re-booted and was firing on at least three of eight cylinders.
His mother, trying to empathize, issued a comforting “that was tense, Jim; wasn’t it?”
Jim could only respond” no, mom, that was past tense.”

Holbrook
June 15th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooo........................... groan! :D