PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen The Mummy Returns yet?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Zsinj16
May 5th, 2001, 10:05 AM
Well, I don't know if you guys consider the new Mummy movies fantasy or not, but I certainly consider them to be dark fantasy. I went to see The Mummy Returns last night and I must say that it was truly one of the best movies I've ever seen!! It completely explains all the mysteries and loose ends in The Mummy Part 1. The special effects and battle and action scenes were spectacular. It also had some hillarious parts in it too. It even had these little zombie creatures that reminded me of the Bukken from Tad Williams' MS&T trilogy. Do you think that might have been used as an influence for the movie? I also heard that there is going to be a spinoff movie to the Mummy movies called "The Scorpion King". Has anyone else seen this movie yet, and if you have, what did you think of it?

By the way, I'm sorry I didn't place this in the MOVIES section of the boards, but it just seems like that section hardly ever gets any posts.

Arty
May 6th, 2001, 06:08 PM
Yes I saw the movie this afternoon! It was awesome! It was a lot better than the first one, and the first one wasn't bad! Definately worth the money!

Cannon Fodder
May 7th, 2001, 12:40 AM
I haven't seen 'The Mummy Returns' yet but I'm not sure I would classify 'The Mummy' as dark fantasy. Fantasy yeah, but the movie was far from dark in any repsect.

FitzChivalry
May 7th, 2001, 01:38 AM
I wouldn't call it dark either, for reference, Interview with the Vampire was dark.

The Mummy was a fun big summer movie thing from the Indiana Jones type only with more supernatural happenings.

Bardos
May 7th, 2001, 04:26 AM
Please, don't insult Indiana Jones! http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

Rob B
May 7th, 2001, 05:06 AM
[Sean Connery accent] named the dog Indiana [/Sean Connery accent].

I think the producers are envisioning the Mummy movies as a franchise like Indiana Jones.

I am looking forward to seeing The Mummy Returns

Hans
May 7th, 2001, 08:20 AM
There was talk about making Indiana Jones 4, though they still haven't found a suitable script yet.

I'm gonna go watch The Mummy returns, hopefully this month.

cassandra
May 7th, 2001, 09:50 AM
I went to see the Mummy Returns at Universal City, and they were shooting The Scorpion King right there that very day (having a friend who works for Universal kicks ass). So yes, there is a Mummy Returns follow-up, but it won't be out for quite a while.
I agree with the not dark fantasy diagnosis. It's actually campy. It's truer to the old 50s style monster movie than today's horror movies. Which is what makes them so much fun. http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif
The story in this one wasn't quite as good as in the original, but the characters were even better, if possible. Evy totally kicks ass in this one!
And speaking of those who saw the Mummy Returns, what did you think about the Tomb Raider trailer?! http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif
Yay summer!

[This message has been edited by cassandra (edited May 07, 2001).]

FitzChivalry
May 7th, 2001, 10:47 AM
I didn't say it's as good as Indiana Jones, Indiana Jones has one big advantage, really great main character and really great actor playing it.

Cygnus
May 7th, 2001, 02:09 PM
I also saw it this weekend and I really liked it. I went in expecting campy action/adventure and I was not dissapointed. A swashbuckling good time! And that Aded.. what a babe. Im-ho-tep was nice to look at also.. bald IS beautiful guys!

And, as an aspiring librarian-to-be, I like that they are breaking the stereotype of the stern old lady with a bun image. Cute, if disaster prone, is a vast improvement!