PDA

View Full Version : Translations (English to English)

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Toke
June 15th, 2004, 03:09 AM
I am interested on translations that publishers do when they publish a book from foreign country. When an UK publisher publishes a book from America does it make a lot of changes in the text? And what happens when British book is published in America?

I asked this by the book store and thay said that publishers only change books from Britain to America... But I need to make this clear to myself 'cause everywhere in the internet they speak about translations to both countrys.

I have never liked translations very much and now I feel that I don't get the author's thought straight. I know this is nitpicking but still... English to English... :confused:

p.s. I think that they may do word changes but I've heard that they also may change whole sentences... A LOT of "between the lines" information might get lost...

Expendable
June 16th, 2004, 08:39 PM
I read alot of the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett and I don't think they changed anything in them, but I can see why some publishers would change some things.

Have you seen that Seinfeld commercial where he's doing comedy infront of British audience and they don't get it? So he jumps into a British taxi and runs around for a bit soaking up British culture and spending alot on his credit card, then he can go back infront of the audience and now they get the jokes even if he doesn't completely understand why they're laughing?

its been 228 years since we were a part of the British empire. I think we drifted apart.

kahnovitch
June 17th, 2004, 09:27 AM
The main reason for these translations is most likely the colloquial terms and phrases used by the different cultures, not to mention the silent letter us English tend to use.
American spelling tends to be a little more phonetic for words like night/nite etc.

I believe there is also Australian English too, and I think Erebus (who is former mod who now runs a POD publisher in Oz), does english to english translations for some of his books. (I'd need to check up on that though ;) )

Erebus
June 17th, 2004, 10:44 AM
I believe there is also Australian English too, and I think Erebus (who is former mod who now runs a POD publisher in Oz), does english to english translations for some of his books. (I'd need to check up on that though ;) )

We don't translate per se, however where we have a manuscript from the US we usually (with the author's permission of course) change the spelling of words which differ from US English to British/Australian English, as the books are published here in Australia. (However, where local colloquialisms or dialects are necessary to a book, no changes are made.)

Some examples of this spelling change would be US English words such as honor, which would become honour, or center which we would spell as centre.

Richardb
June 18th, 2004, 10:11 AM
I commonly buy from Amazon US, Amazon UK, and have bought a handful of Aussi books from Erebus... and frankly the differences in usage and spelling are all but unnoticable. In some ways, British english is a bit more formal appearing to my US eye... but that also makes it feel more like traditional fantasy for me for whatever reason. There are some 'common' usages that are sort of part of the local dialect, but I have never found this problematic.