PDA

View Full Version : non-superhero comics.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

revenant
June 17th, 2004, 11:22 PM
what are some good ones?

i have been reading Y: The Last Man... dig it.. awesome comic..

any other good ones out there?

JRMurdock
June 18th, 2004, 01:19 AM
My favorite non-super hero comic of all time is Cerebus. You can pick up the antholigies and get caught up easily enough.

I was also a Bone fan for some time as well as Poison Elves.

If you're looking for real life types, I'd need to dig into my collection and see what's still being published. I remember Stray Bullets was good, but don't know if it's still going.

Warewolf
June 18th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Y: The Last Man (kicks ass)
Fables (fable characters (Snow White, Big Bad Wolf, Pinnochio, Prince Charming) living in New York)
Negation (kick ass sci-fi space opera epic)
Sojourn (fantasy epic)
Queen & Country (Clancy-like spy thriller about MI6 field operations)
The Adventures of Barry Ween (comedy about an 8 year old genius)
The Walking Dead (zombie book along the lines of 28 Days)
Abadazad (children's fantasy)
Gotham Central (crime drama based in Gotham City, but focused on the Gotham City Police Department instead of Batman)
Conan (duh...it's about Conan...and it kicks ass!)
El Cazador (historical pirate adventure)
Soulfire (sci-fantasy thing...hasn't started yet, but soon)
Losers (similar to a summer blockbuster about a CIA unit who were double crossed)
Sword of Dracula (about a military unit tasked with hunting down Dracula)

Ivyn
June 18th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Bone is amazing, I HIGHLY recommend it. I've only read the first two books (in quick succession), I'm waiting till I get some extra cash so I can buy the entire series and plop down into a chair with them. It's supposed to keep getting better.

Ghost World, it's kind of a graphics novel 'classic', it's about these two girls out of high school trying to find their place in the world and the eccentric characters they come across. A quick read, beautifully done, the ending hit me really hard I was just lying awake in bed unable to stop thinking about it. This is the story that really perked my interest in the comic format and introduced to me its ability to tell emotionally poignant stories in a way that can only be achieved in a graphical medium.

Strangers in Paradise is a very amusing series revolving around the relationships between several adults. It's a "real world" series, very much unlike most comic books and graphic novels, yet it remains interesting and quirky, it's got plenty of humor and deals with some serious issues, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised. Great artwork, some of the best character expression I've ever seen.

When I was younger the Tintin books were the best things ever. I still love them and suggest them if you have never read them, if you can manage to get a hold of them.

By the way Amazon.com is a great place to get everything mentioned. Instead of hunting down individual issues (for series that are published like that) you can buy the graphics novels.

knivesout
June 19th, 2004, 02:03 AM
Chris Ware's Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth is pretty awesome. Very bleak, but with a certain dark humour. I think it's a masterpiece.

Rob B
June 22nd, 2004, 12:43 PM
Rex Mundi (http://www.rexmundi.net) an alternate history concerning a world where France is the pre-eminint power in the world and a mystery surrounding the Holy Grail. Superb artwork and great story, just wish it came out more often

the aforementioned FABLES and Y: THE LAST MAN are spectacular.

THE MONOLITH though the next arc will guest star Batman, the story revolves around a modern incarnatoin of the GOLEM. Top notch storytelling

Fallen Angel by Peter David. A mysterious woman helps those who have been wronged in New Orleans-esque town called Bete Noir.

Also check oug Vaughan's Ex Machina (http://www.machinacomics.com). The first issue came out last week and though the protagonist is a former Superhero, there is very little superheroics in the story. Tony Harris's art is wonderful.

Blackwing
June 23rd, 2004, 06:57 AM
Elfquest by Wendy and Richard Pini. Fantasy comic where elfs are the main characters and humans are the bad guys (mostly). The first storyarch is mythical and the rest are at worst enjoyable and usually very good.

Sandman by Neil Gaiman. Granted, it does happen in the DC universe (sort of) but in the dream world. It has ancient gods, angels, demons and Lucifer as guest stars. And it has a clear storyarch. The series ended when the writer wanted it to end.

Bone is also good, as mentioned above.

They all have websites if you want to check them out first.

Individual issues are very hard to come by especially with the older Elfquest stuff. Trade paperbacks are the easiest way to go.

Soon Lee
June 24th, 2004, 12:34 AM
Chris Ware's Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth is pretty awesome. Very bleak, but with a certain dark humour. I think it's a masterpiece.

Bleak as in wanting-to-cut-your-wrist but yeah, I agree, it's brilliant. I also have a soft spot for Kyle Baker's 'Cowboy Wally Show' as an antidote to Jimmy Corrigan.

Mithfânion
November 4th, 2004, 08:07 PM
What's so cool about Bone and Cerebus? From the samples I've seen the art is just dire. Is the story *that* good?

JRMurdock
November 4th, 2004, 09:13 PM
That's the point. It's actually a story. The comics tell an ongoing story. That's what drew me into them. :)