PDA

View Full Version : Mists of Avalon

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

sueVee
July 16th, 2001, 08:58 AM
Is anyone watching this mini series? Any opinions? I like the actors, but I am not sure how I feel about the handling of Lancelot relationship to Arthur and Morgana. Cousins???? Also I don't recall Arthur and Morgana have a childhood history together in any of the the legends I have read. Most of the adaptations I have read or seen has him being removed from his family by Merlin as an infant because of questions of his legitimacy.

Black Echo
July 16th, 2001, 09:25 AM
Check other resources. According to Arthurian legend, Arthur and Morgana were in fact half brother and sister. Mists of Avalon is okay, but it isn't "Excalibur" by a long shot... MOA is based on a woman's view point of the legend and should be taken as such, an 'interpretation' of the legend from a different point of view.

sueVee
July 17th, 2001, 02:02 AM
Yes, I know they were half siblings. Gorlois wife was given to Uther because he betrayed his promise to honor the goddess and turned to the Christian faith. My point is that they did not know each other as children. Arthur was taken away as a babe by Merlin and fostered. No one knew his parentage except Merlin until he pulled out Excalabar. He was raised by a family devout to the goddess and his half brother Kay was part of his round table. So the sibling attachment did not exist between Morgaine and Arthur. Even though I read the MoA years ago I don't remember a sibling attachment as being part of theme. I liked the book, but I am afraid I don't care for the miniseries. But then I find most movies about Arther lacking the feeling and enjoyment I get from the books.

[This message has been edited by sueVee (edited July 17, 2001).]

Lady Fox
July 17th, 2001, 03:45 AM
I agree with sueVee. The classic King Arthur myth that I am familiar with had Morgaine highly resentful of Arthur when he finally surfaced after being secretly fostered. She blamed him and Uther for her father's death. In MoA Morgaine was as much of an innocent as Arthur in Mordred's conception, whereas in most other Artherian tales Morgaine purposely has sex with her brother to produce an incestuous son. Morgaine is usually the villain. I thought the movie was well done and entertaining, but it was very different from most King Arthur tales. I think I prefer the more familiar version conpared to MZB's version. I give the movie 3/5 stars.

Black Echo
July 17th, 2001, 04:19 AM
I'm writing for my wife in this thread, since I refuse to watch such a touchy feely bastardization of such a great tale. Ultimately, I find it hard to beat "Excaliber". We're dumbing down a lot of the classic legends these days, using artistic license to put a new 'spin' on things, and to me, that destroys the foundation.

sueVee
July 17th, 2001, 08:13 AM
Has anyone read Molly Cochran's Broken Sword? It is about the reincarnation of Arthur as a child in the US.

Buddha
July 21st, 2001, 03:48 PM
Well the movie is a pretty good take on the book which has been out for years, and though I like the original tales, But when I read MOA years ago, I really liked that. I liekd excaliber, but they took alot of poetic license with it too, from some of the old tales.

I find things kinda funny, maybe it could have happened this way, but you know the saying "the winners write history". European history can't show strong women, it's against thier nature of oppression.

I really like the way they had both a Morgase and a Morgaine (most legends mix the two, though they are both mentioned in some tales.) Again it would be in the interest of Christian males (the winners) to not have a female pagan as a hero, so wipe her out and make a evil character.

AJ_
May 14th, 2006, 02:20 PM
I like this movie, based on one of my all time favorite books. There are flaws with it...some characters and scenes missing (most notably Kevin, one of the best characters in the book) and the ending is changed. But I still enjoyed watching it, certain scenes even made me a bit teary. Angelica Huston, Joan Allen, and Julianna Margulies all did a wonderful job with their roles. :)

Miriamele
May 15th, 2006, 09:10 AM
It was a few years ago that I watched the mini-series, but I do remember quite clearly that I felt it didn't measure up to the book at all. I loved the book, but the film really seemed to be lacking something. The actors were competent in their roles, but I felt that maybe they weren't the right people for the roles to begin with. Especially Morgaine, who should have been much smaller. And somehow the film lost some of the mystical atmosphere of the book.

It didn't help that they changed a lot of details, made some things "safer"...like Vivian's death. In the movie she is stabbed with a sword, while in the book her skull is cleaved in two with an axe. I'm not saying I crave violence! That's just an example of how they changed some things to make the story more appealing to a broader audience. It didn't suit my tastes though.

But then, I am one of those who pretty much always prefers the book over the movie.