PDA

View Full Version : ? book title and author ? - plz help!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

butter808fly
June 21st, 2004, 11:54 PM
I searched for 2 hours this morning trying to find the name of this book my mom has been talkin about for years. I would love to find it for her! If you have suggestions Id be most grateful indeed.

She says the main character is a man who is being brainwashed by the government(?) because he found out that the society is brainwashing or using subliminal messages through some media medium (television?). He keeps telling himself to remember something that will later spark memories of the what has been erased from his mind.

Sound familiar?? PLEASE HELP! This book is for my mom, and also for me I dig these kinds of books. 1984 and Fahrenheit 451 among my favs. Also good, Hellstroms Hive and The Wave. A very cool movie is called The Watchers. Also, Night of the Comet is cool though thats a natural disaster kinda movie.

Thank you so much!

Erfael
June 22nd, 2004, 01:15 AM
I searched for 2 hours this morning trying to find the name of this book my mom has been talkin about for years. I would love to find it for her! If you have suggestions Id be most grateful indeed.

She says the main character is a man who is being brainwashed by the government(?) because he found out that the society is brainwashing or using subliminal messages through some media medium (television?). He keeps telling himself to remember something that will later spark memories of the what has been erased from his mind.

Sound familiar?? PLEASE HELP! This book is for my mom, and also for me I dig these kinds of books. 1984 and Fahrenheit 451 among my favs. Also good, Hellstroms Hive and The Wave. A very cool movie is called The Watchers. Also, Night of the Comet is cool though thats a natural disaster kinda movie.

Thank you so much!

No idea, but sounds vaguely Phillip K. Dick-ish....

kahnovitch
June 22nd, 2004, 09:42 AM
Definitely sounds like science fiction so I'm not sure why you posted in the fantasy section.
The plot you've described sounds a little like "The Currents of Space" by Asimov, but the character in that had his memory deliberately erased.

I wIll move this to the SF section, where you may get a better response.

lemming
June 22nd, 2004, 11:27 AM
Also sounds a little like The Illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson. "Don't see the fnord"... however, those books were about a lot more than just that, so it seems unlikely that would be the only thing someone's mom would remember. Hmmm.

butter808fly
June 22nd, 2004, 08:23 PM
Thank you guys for your input with these books. Ill check into them. And the reason I posted under fantasy was for 1. I already posted under sci-fi and 2. Im not sure the line between what is fantasy and what is sci-fi persay. There is nothing modern about the influence that media has on society... soo.. if it were just a present form of medium influencing the society the only thing would be the fantasy of our world being brainwashed.

Hrm, or is that even fantasy? :rolleyes:

Thanx again, anymore suggestions are welcome!

Erfael
June 22nd, 2004, 08:51 PM
Thank you guys for your input with these books. Ill check into them. And the reason I posted under fantasy was for 1. I already posted under sci-fi and 2. Im not sure the line between what is fantasy and what is sci-fi persay. There is nothing modern about the influence that media has on society... soo.. if it were just a present form of medium influencing the society the only thing would be the fantasy of our world being brainwashed.

Hrm, or is that even fantasy? :rolleyes:

Thanx again, anymore suggestions are welcome!

Don't worry. Most of the time we can't figure out which is which, either.