PDA

View Full Version : A Challenge For Film Buffs

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

yurisverdlov
July 8th, 2001, 04:36 AM
I wrote a screenplay based on my sci-fi novel and people are looking at it seriously for funding. I'm now working with a computer graphics company to get a cost for animation and creature development.

How we implement some of the scenes will naturally affect cost, but I'm strongly leaning toward computer animation, especially if we can break new ground.

Here's my question for film buffs:

There is a type of shot which is typical of horror/monster movies, called the "creature POV" (Point Of View). Essentially, the camera takes the POV of the creature, and the audience gets to see stalking from the monster's eyes.

In the film that I'm putting together, the "monsters" are small, rapidly moving animals which travel individually or in large numbers. Their eyes are physiologically different from human eyes, so they see the world differently.

My question: Are you aware of any film which shows a creature POV, where the creature both sees differently from humans and his field of view includes other (animated) creatures travelling in the same pack? If you are aware of such a film, does the film also overlay animation onto real shots?

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

-- John Morrison http://ganymede-project.com

Xayn
July 8th, 2001, 05:04 AM
Um, I might be mistaken here, but I think one of the Critters movies had something like that (though those were puppets, not animations).
Generally speaking, I think that sounds cool. You (them sfx folks) should perhaps model one of these creatures, and then measure the distance between the eyes to see what degree their FOV has.
You should also think about how these creatures move. Meaning how their heads move when they run. Does their head sway up and down? Sidewise? Hope you get my point.
Depending on that you should have these scenes shot with a "bobbing" camera, etc.
But frankly I think you crack your head open over this without much reason, really.
All they have to do is scan the model into the computer, set the thing's animation-frames, and then "attach" the viewpoint of the computer effects to where these creatures would have their eyes.
Technically that shouldn't pose any problems, but will "merely" take some time (read: money)...

Erebus
July 8th, 2001, 05:18 AM
Hi John,

Not sure if this helps or not, but do you remember the technique that was used for the Predator creature's vision in the first movie. Perhaps something like this is what you're referring to?

yurisverdlov
July 9th, 2001, 04:14 AM
Thanks for your replies.

We've already determined that the creature (1) does NOT have binocular vision; (2) does not have color vision (it's a nocturnal animal and its retina is dominated by rods); (3) is far-sighted.

We think a reasonable model of the visual system would be a panoramic lens, black and white imagery and blurring of the near-field.

The real trick will be to overlay real imagery shot under these conditions with animation consistent with the critter's visual model.

I'll have to go back and review "Predator."

Thanks for your help.

-- John S. Morrison http://ganymede-project.com

Cadfael
July 13th, 2001, 02:58 AM
Yes... the movie Wolfen has this type of POV shot, the creature see heat signatures and move very very fast.

I have the book, but all my books are packed away at the moment, but when I can give you more info, I will.

yurisverdlov
July 13th, 2001, 06:55 AM
Thanks, Dennizem. It's been a while since I've seen Wolfen, so I'll check it out.

-- John Morrison http://ganymede-project.com

Rupert Avery
July 21st, 2001, 01:58 PM
Lets not forget about an old movie called the Fly.They used a POV in that.

Cadfael
July 21st, 2001, 07:21 PM
I really want to forget the movie called the Fly, and I almost did... but you have gone and spoiled it now http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

Black Echo
July 23rd, 2001, 08:17 AM
"Pitch Black" anyone?

Nocturnal creatures that travel in packs and hunt by motion / thermal imaging and smell. That should get you 'close' to what you are asking for, but what I think you are really asking for is to put a 'true' creature POV into a movie, not just another 'rubber man in a suit' POV.

Like something truly non-human, never been done before by a human, and truly alien. For that kind of POV, I think you are going to be on your own. ALIEN did away with the 'man in a rubber suit', maybe your effort will do away with the 'man in the rubber suit POV'.

Lord Soth
July 28th, 2001, 05:13 AM
I would seriously go and have a look at the pitch black POV presentation, it was well thought out. However their are two character POVs in the film Diesal with his "glint job" again a nice touch, and the aliens themselves. I also liked the addition of a blind spot, but you'll have to see the movie to understand.