PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Who is the most powerful "spellcaster?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

allanon_mage
June 25th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Yes, I am new here, but I submitted this poll, and wanted to know what some of the answers might be.

Whos is the most powerful "spellcaster"? (I put it in qutes because not everyone on the list uses magic per se).

A. Allanon (Shannara)
B. Rand (WoT)
C. Merlin (any)
D. Black Mage (Final Fantasy I)
E. Richard (SoT)
F. Zed (SoT)
G. Elminster (D&D: Forgotten Realms)
H. Halaster (D&D: Forgotten Realms)
I. Raistlin (D&D: Krynn)
J. Harry Potter
K. Dalamar (D&D: Krynn)
L. Darken Rahl (SoT)
M. Walker (Boh?) (Shannara)
N. The Witch King (Shannara)
O. Name your own spellcaster not listed

Abbreviations explained:
WoT - Wheel of Time
SoT - Sword of Truth
D&D: xxx - Dungeons & Dragons: Campaign Setting
Final Fantasy I - 8 bit theatre re-enactment, or the original, whichever you prefer
Harry Potter - Self explanitory
Shannara - Self explanitory
any - Any version of Merlin, just cite your example

This is going to be cool....

bigbry
June 25th, 2004, 01:20 PM
While you left off several major 'spellcasters' once you placed Merlin on there I don't think there is any contest. As an avid reader for 30 plus years I have come across many wizards, warlocks, witches (no women on your list?), etc but have always believed that outside of 'gods' (mythological or fictional) that Merlin was the be all and end all of Magic Users, the Great Grandpappy (or young upstart depending on what time period) of all that followed (or were to come).
A cotton-headed bumbler with ADD and a vengeful, wrathful warlock who was just as likely to pull a rabbit out of his hat than call the full wrath of the gods down on your head.

Not just limited to King Arthur, but envisioned by TH White, Bernard Cornwall, Robert Holdstock, Peter David and many many others.

So my vote goes to Merlin!

Nunchuckz
June 25th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Where is Pug, my favorite spellcaster?

Rira
June 25th, 2004, 01:34 PM
i love rand, but my favorite is prolly Nyneave, from WoT....she's strong when she's angrey...and she's all around awesome....that and i love Gandalf!

Archmage
June 25th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Great Thread ! This is a fun thread, so I hope know one jumps in an over analyzes it or makes fun of it.

As for most powerful mage/wizard/sorceror....that is difficult to answer because the nature of power is created within the scope of possibility by the writer. So I will list my favorite wizards/mages/magic users instead.

They are in no particular order

Raistlin Majere - Dragonlance
Rand Al'Thor - WOT
Elminster - Forgotten Realms
Gandalf - Tolkein
Allanon - Shannara
Meryl Gestaurian - Fortress Series by CJ Cherryh
Tristan - Fortress Series
Pol - Dragon Prince and Dragon Star Trilogies by Melanie Rawn
Lord Andry of Goddess Keep - Dragon Prince and Dragon Star Trilogies
Belgarath - The Belgariad and Mallorean Sagas by Eddings
Belgarion - The Belgariad and Mallorean Sagas
Fitz Chivalry Farseer - Farseer and Tawny Man Trilogies by Robin Hobb

Thats all I can think of at the moment :)

Quagmire
June 25th, 2004, 02:18 PM
D. Black Mage (Final Fantasy I)

hahaha...out of all the awesome FF spellcasters, you picked Orko?

Archmage
June 25th, 2004, 02:40 PM
I just could never get into Final Fantasy. I don't like games where you do not actually fight your opponents in real time. I hate that, choose move, wait, fighters goes and does move, then comes back, waits, enemies does move. Sloooooooowwwwwwwww Motionnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

:P

Quagmire
June 25th, 2004, 03:14 PM
I just could never get into Final Fantasy. I don't like games where you do not actually fight your opponents in real time. I hate that, choose move, wait, fighters goes and does move, then comes back, waits, enemies does move. Sloooooooowwwwwwwww Motionnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

:P

I know what you mean...I only played FF1 and FF2...my friend keeps telling me FF3 and above are worth playing...just haven't had the time.

I played RPGs because they can have some of the most complex storylines. FF1 and Chrono Trigger are a few examples. Most of the later offerings appear to just show off CG animation. I read the summary for FF8 and it totally turned me off despite the amazing graphics.

And the whole thing reeks of patience! You wander around, fight monsters randomly and earn experience...and it takes so long to perform the spells during a fight (again, to show off graphics)...I don't know how my brother puts up with it...thank goodness for real time games now!

Priestvyrce
June 25th, 2004, 04:43 PM
O. Vanyel from the Last Herald Mages trilogy by Mercedes Lackey from her Valdemar series.

P. Urtho from the same series.

Q. Mhoram from the Thomas Covenant trilogy

allanon_mage
June 25th, 2004, 05:00 PM
I wanted to add a female, but I forgot her name. It was the lady that brought Rand along on their adventure. I honestly forgot about Nyneave and the other one (forgot her name too). Elayne, thats it! Haha. I guess you could add in the Forsaken to the mix as well.

The thing about Merlin though, he's not really a magic user. He was born in the future and lived his life backwards. His foreknowledge of the future was his "magic."

Black Mage is NOT Orko. But Orko could make the list....maybe not. Black Mage from 8 bit theatre is slightly different than the one from the game. If you like FF and comedy, check it out: http://www.nuklearpower.com/

Final Fantasy 1 was the only one of the series I really got into. I watched the movie too. That's hopw far I've gotten nto the FF craze.

Back to females, Adie (SoT) might make the list. Her and the Witch Woman (forgot her name too) were both powerful sorceresses from the Sword of Truth. This list wouldn't be complete without the Mother Confessor herself. Her power is singular, but infinitely more powerful than some of the destructive powers of the other ones. Last but not least, we can the Original Dragon Lewis Therin the Kinslayer.