View Full Version : Anime

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Dark Prophet
November 3rd, 1999, 09:33 PM
Just wondering to myself if many of the fantasy/sci-fi readers also like anime.

I'm a big fan of anime. The only anime on t.v that I watch is Dragon Ball Z. Which is about the only good anime on US t.v. Most of the good anime you can only get from the source (Japan), which makes it hard.

Starbreaker
November 15th, 1999, 06:29 AM
I like the more Gothic anime, like "Vampire Hunter D" or "Demon City Shinjuku".

Problem is, watching English-dubbed anime is like watching a kung fu flick. The characters' lip movements are so out of sync that it becomes distracting. Why don't they use subtitles?

MantellaKH
February 11th, 2000, 04:55 PM
If they used subtitles people would be so busy reading that they wouldn't be watching what was going on.

Cellandros
February 11th, 2000, 09:29 PM
I've always loved Record of Lodoss war.

Macros
March 8th, 2001, 11:36 AM
Record of Lodoss War was very good. I'm currently trying to find the t.v series the OVA's inspired.

Black Echo
March 9th, 2001, 09:00 AM
Anything by Masune Schirow. Patlabor. Riding Bean. Dirty Pair. I don't like the silly stuff like Pokemon or Digimon. I'm more hardcore for stuff like MD-Geist, Wind Called Amnesia, Wings of Honemaise(sic), and others. If it is 'serious', I like it.

I was hoping that Heavy Metal 2000 would at least be in the ballpark with some anime. That movie sucked, I liked the first HM movie better. This one was just a Julie Strain in ink exercise, IMHO. Good animation, awfully weak story.

Arwena
May 4th, 2001, 11:58 PM
I luv anime. http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

Fushigi Yugi, Ayashi no Ceres, Kaikan Phrase... there are so many that I won't try listing them all here, but those three above are my favorites.

Alucard
August 13th, 2001, 08:41 AM
If you're into anime, you might be interested in the new vampire hunter d movie that's coming out. It's going to be realeased in theaters(at least, in the u.s. and japan).

Go to this link and check out the trailer, it looks really good.
www.vampirehunterdbloodlust.com/trailer.html (http://www.vampirehunterdbloodlust.com/trailer.html)

niiina
August 16th, 2001, 09:35 PM
I must disagree with MantellaKH regarding subtitles. Being danish, I'm very used to subtitles, and I don't find it difficult at all read them and watch the film at the same time. It is all a matter of training.
I would always prefer that over dubbing, especially since I think that a lot of the actors work is actually in the voice.

Where I live now, there is not really much animee. I don't really know it, but I have been looking on the net a few times without luck. So if any of you have some links to some cool pages, preferably with stories and not just about a tv series I can't watch on tv anyway, please let me know.

FitzChivalry
August 17th, 2001, 03:41 AM
Well, for me subtitles are no problem either.
It depends if you are from an english speaking country or not, in english countries there is no need for subtitles for most movies/tv as most of it is done in english so they aren't used to it.
There are some non-english countries that the translation of movies/tv is done with dubbing so they aren't used to it either.
Myself, i rather watch a subtitled movie than a dubbed movie as the original voices in english are usually much better.