View Full Version : Going Nuts!!!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

sabion
July 7th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Please help me find the name of this book!

I read this book about 15 years ago and can't for the life of me remember the name.

Its focus is a Non-Mutant hero (red hair) living in a mutant society in a Post apocalyptic New York. The crux of the story is the mutants are at war with the non mutatnts who are decendants of Boston (The Hub?) who did not mutate after the war. The hero falls for a "human" woman who happens to have psychic abilities and they eventualy have a child. The big bad guy (powerful mutant) wants the baby for his purpouses but they get away, but for some reason the Hero kills the child and leaves it in the snow??? ( Now I'm fuzzy on this part, but it was 15 years ago)

This is the first Sci-Fi book that I ever read (a library book) and wold love to ad it to my collection, but I would be content with knowing the name or author.

Thanks for any information that any of you can provide me.
Please e-mail me sabion21@hotmail.com

Expendable
July 7th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Try Patrick Tilley's Amtrak Wars.

sabion
July 8th, 2004, 06:45 AM
This book had to be printed in the mid 70's to early 80's

Duraccione
July 8th, 2004, 09:23 AM
Couldn't you just go to the library and ask them to see your record? They have surely annotated all the books you borrowed. :cool:

sabion
July 8th, 2004, 10:12 AM
My hometown library doesn't even have an accurate record of the books they have on the shelves. I've gone back and asked about the book before but have been told that it was probably distroyed or sold in the intervening 15 years and that no they don't keep a list of old books. They work on more a faith system.

cgw
July 8th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Here's a long shot: Pure Blood by Mike McQuay
From the 80s, set in NY state (near Albany) (did you mean NY City or State?), sort of post-apocalyptic, and I remember something about red hair (maybe it was on the cover).

Duraccione
July 9th, 2004, 05:11 AM
They work on more a faith system.
That's nice from them to entrust readers (in my country such a library would run out of books and close in less than a month): too bad I no idea what a book that can be, I hope cgw's "long shot" hits the one you looked for. :)

sabion
July 9th, 2004, 07:24 AM
In the book i'm thinking of, the two classes of humans are a result of the fallout from a Nuclear war where some of the people were able to escape the radiation wile the ones who took refuge in the tunnels in New York mutated.

Keep the suggestions coming, somone out there has to have read this book too.

sabion
July 13th, 2004, 07:14 AM
Anyone else???
Anyone at all???
Bueller?
Bueller?
Bueller?

lemming
July 17th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Sorry, it doesn't sound as though we're doing so well for you. As for me, I only remember one story (story, not novel) involving red hair and post-apocalypse. It's called "The Place Where Chicago Was" by James Harmon and is anthologized in Hot and Cold Running Cities by Georgess McHargue.

Also, there's a thread in which we talked about a lot of PA books a while ago:

http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6489&page=1

And in that thread a link was given to a page that lists a lot more.

http://www.emptyworld.info/book_index.html

Depending on your obsession level, you could go through all those and look on Amazon to see whether they're the one you're after. I did a search there on James Harmon just in case he'd written a novel, but no luck.

One more: here's a shockingly complete list of books, novellas, etc featuring nuclear disaster. Googling over this site might be a good thing.

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/nuclear/a.htm