PDA

View Full Version : The Final Fax...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Phoric
July 7th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Is a short I've read and know I have laying around somewhere, but can't for the life of me remember who it's by. For some reason I'm thinking Peter Hamilton, but don't think thats right. If anyone knows or recognizing it, I thank you in advance, b/c its been driving me insane trying to remember how it ends and not being able to have another peak to check.

Colonel Worf
July 7th, 2004, 09:33 PM
It's by Dan Simmons, and it's in "World's Enough & Time"... I'm 99.999% sure

I'm guessing it might tie in with Ilium too... there is a story line about faxing in that book.

Phoric
July 7th, 2004, 10:58 PM
Yeah, I had been thinking it could be his. I'd taken World's off the shelf and looked at it as well as A second chance at Eden, and it isnt in either of them (both are in my hand as typing)

Thats what's driving me so nutty, is that I know its somewhere on my shelf. I distinctly remember reading it and major parts of it, but nothing else.

I'm a huge fan of Simmons' as well, and have read everything of his save for the Hardcase books and the Hemingway one, which bugs me too that can't remember myself to place things properly.

But I do thank you for the help, it is appreciated.

Colonel Worf
July 8th, 2004, 08:26 AM
Okay, the story "The Ninth Av" in Worlds Enough & Time is about five people of Jewish descent waiting for the 'final fax'. This HAS to be it. Right? :p

Phoric
July 8th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Yeah, of course with my first two posts I'd make myself look like a dolt.

For whatever reason I had it in my head that The Final Fax was the title, so I'd only looked at the index without thinking to look deeper. The NInth of Av had been exactly what I was looking for the whole time.

Thanks a lot for all the help.

Colonel Worf
July 8th, 2004, 07:08 PM
No problem. I just did a quick search on Amazon.

I'm guessing that the story of Harman in 'Ilium' takes place in the same timeline/universe/whatever??