PDA

View Full Version : Lord of the Rings MOVIE coming soon...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Kahlan
January 4th, 2001, 03:18 PM
Today I heard that Christmas of 2001 a movie based on Lord of the Rings novels is going to be in Theaters. To me thats kind of depressing because if the movie is badly done it will give the book a bad name and other Fantasy novels like it. What are your thoughts?

~Kahlan~

Metosblat
January 4th, 2001, 03:29 PM
I think they shouldn't make the Mistakes Battlefied Earth made.
If LOTR isn't successful it will close the door for many other fantasy movies that could become successful.
I think they have already made a huge mistake by casting Elijah woods as Froddo, i may be wrong he might turn out to be perfect for it. But i really Hate Elijah Woods.

Rupert Avery
January 4th, 2001, 03:29 PM
Go to the web site.They have a movie there you can download that shows a few scenes and behind the movie stuff.So far it looks good.
But it is true what you say the movie maker has a hell of alot to live up too.No matter what they do it will be hard to accept the characters in which we have built up in our minds,from looks,voices,ect..I just hope they don't make it too Disney looking.

Rob B
January 4th, 2001, 04:06 PM
They film makers spent A LOT of money so far, the film(s) are in the post production stage.

One film for each of the books in the trilogy. I for one think it will be good. there are some top-name actors in it--
Gandalf--Sir Ian McKellan (Magneto in X-Men and James Whale in "Gods and Monsters")
Christopher Lee--Sauron (Dracula in the great version from the 1970's)
Sean Astin--Bean (Rudy, He was also in Goonies)
Liv Tyler
Cate Blanchett--Galadriel (Acadamy Award nominated for her portrayal of Queen Elizabeth recently)
John Rhys-Davies--Gimli (The heavy set bearded guy in the Indiana Jones movies)

Eventine
January 4th, 2001, 04:36 PM
I myself am looking forward to them.
A really great fan site is theonering.net, which has heaps of information. From what I have seen so far they are doing an excellent job, but the proof will be in the pudding.
I'm expecting an excellent pudding.

Cadfael
January 4th, 2001, 06:20 PM
They have also spent a long time making this movie, okay the cartoon version was long in the making, but that was an animated version.

I am looking forward to it, but there is a danger it may not live upto expectations

wastra
January 5th, 2001, 05:52 AM
Actually, a note on the actors:

Christopher Lee is not playing Sauron, he's playing Saruman. that's a prett big difference.

check out www.tolkien-movies.com (http://www.tolkien-movies.com) for more info

Rob B
January 5th, 2001, 06:19 AM
Wastra:

Sorry about that, typo.

Liselle
January 6th, 2001, 08:58 AM
I don't know what to think: so far, there is only one fantasy movie I really liked when having read the book before; it was Dragonheart, because the book was made for the film, so my imagination was 'compatible' with the film. Most of the time, this is not the case, and so I don't like the movie at all.
Though I have a hope for LoT, because Tolkien made lots of illustrations and described some things very detailed, and so the film may be ok. I hope so.

Rob B
January 6th, 2001, 10:03 AM
Liselle:

I think the movie is going to look great because they are using two of the "official" artists of Tolkein--John Howe and Allan Lee--as visual consultants.

That said, the movies have a lot to live up to and no matter how great they are, some people will be disappointed.