PDA

View Full Version : What about Spielberg's 'AI?'

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Penumbra
September 27th, 2001, 01:09 PM
Does anyone have an opinion about this movie? I'm wondering whether you can call it cyberpunk or cyberspace, considering your ongoing debate. Would you say it is up to his standards or otherwise? Also, what do you feel about the modern trend whereby screenwritten dramas are not published and never exposed to readers?

Erebus
September 27th, 2001, 05:52 PM
Haven't yet seen this, Penumbra, but the reviews over here seem good. I did hear that it was crucified a little in the US though.

But, as this is a discussion for a movie, we're moving it to TV and Film now. http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

Erebus
September 27th, 2001, 05:57 PM
Okay...to continue the topic:

Perhaps sometimes it's best if certain stories go straight to film or similar. Sometimes, you get to be treated to a really good book, and then the film comes out and makes a complete hash of it. At least with the movie coming out first, and then perhaps a tie-in book, there's less disappointment. Just a thought.

As to a genre name for the movie: I guess I'll have to see it first!

[This message has been edited by erebus (edited September 27, 2001).]

Cygnus
September 27th, 2001, 06:39 PM
I call it cyber-crap! Okay, I'm being harsh, but that was one of the worst movies I have ever seen (IMHO, of course). I think there is a thread from a few months ago on this where it seemed to be a love it or hate it type of film. I don't have a serious answer to your question because I've read very little sci-fi so I don't have enough knowledge of the sub-genres to say for sure.

This was based on the short story Supertoys Last all Summer Long by Brian Aldiss, though I haven't read it. I agree with Erebus that some stories are suited best to a visual medium.

[This message has been edited by Cygnus (edited September 27, 2001).]

Lady Fox
September 28th, 2001, 02:27 AM
You are right, Cygnus, this has been discussed ad nauseum in an earlier post. AI is possibly the worst scifi movie ever made, just behind Battlefield Earth.