PDA

View Full Version : Is Asimov Rolling Over?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Hereford Eye
July 19th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Haven't seen the movie so have no opinion but read a review in our local paper that opined the Good Doctor is rolling over in his grave. True or false?

Dominus
July 19th, 2004, 11:11 PM
I have to admit I've never read any Asimov at all, so I can't say as to that, but I went in with low expectations and came out pleasantly suprised, it wasn't a bad film overall, not great by any means, but fair. Those who have read Asimov and have expectations, of content, not quality, may, however, find it appalling. I think I will read I, Robot now though, just to see how different it was.

trentdick2882
July 19th, 2004, 11:19 PM
I read somewhere (maybe on this site?) that the script was not associated with Asimov originally. So they just added his name and a couple character names to a script that was already written.

Dominus
July 20th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Yes, that's what I heard as well, and if you see the movie, the credits at the end have "Suggested by a book by Isaac Asimov", or something like that, which was odd to me, but makes sense considering how they did it.

Hobbit
July 20th, 2004, 06:00 PM
To be fair, I Robot is a short story rather than a novel - it'll need bulking up to make a film.

Have only seen the trailers here in the UK as the film's not out till August 6th or so. Could be wrong but the only thing I can see so far is the name of the book and the name Susan Calvin as well as references to the 3 Laws of Robotics.

The rest has nothing in common with the story.

Asimov's views were such: "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent" (Isaac Asimov, through the character Salvador Hardin, in the book Foundation) Therefore I suspect that the estate will be happy with the revenue, though fans of the original story won't be with the film.

Hobbit

Shehzad
July 20th, 2004, 07:32 PM
To be fair, I Robot is a short story rather than a novel - it'll need bulking up to make a film.

Correction: I, Robot is a collection of short stories. Their common thread includes the immutable Three Laws of Robotics, which specifically state that a robot cannot harm a human, must obey humans and must act in self-preservation, in that order. The movie centers around robots which rebel and attack/kill humans, in essence breaking the 1st and 2nd laws. That is intrinsically against Asimovian concepts: hence, Asimov must be rotating in his grave at several thousand rpm.

Additionally, the script was for a movie called Hardwired, which just had the I, Robot name slapped on it and pushed out.

Thirdly, Harlan Ellison already has written a magnificent screenplay (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0743486595/qid=1090370140/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-4303782-8263218?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) for I, Robot, which would've made a classic movie and which Asimov supposedly approved of. Apparently, Asimov said that if made, it would be "The first really adult, complex, worthwhile science fiction movie ever made."

For myself, I will not watch the movie, unless it's by download or on TV. I will not recompense those who insult Asimov.

Rant Over.

saintjon
July 20th, 2004, 07:57 PM
I'm with you Shehz, one dollar=one vote and I'm not paying into the Hollywood crap factory on this one.

Dominus
July 20th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Hehe, well, if you watch it, you'll understand why the robots are attacking humans, it's actually ingenious if Asimov didn't do it himself, I'm sure people who read the book won't particularly like it, but they will see the reason behind it. I can't say why they are doing what they are doing, of course, that'd sorta ruin the end.

Shehzad
July 20th, 2004, 08:22 PM
It can't happen. The Laws of Robotics are irrefutable in Asimov's universe. If you want to break the laws, don't attach Asimov's name to it. Anyone who has read Asimov knows that the mere thought of breaking the Laws causes a robot's brain to go into irreversible positronic freeze.

Dominus
July 20th, 2004, 08:24 PM
Hehe, what's funny is that you're wrong, since there is one, unique robot that doesn't follow the laws, then the new line of robots, who break the laws to in fact follow the laws, you have to see the movie. :)