View Full Version : Enterprise anyone?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Lady Fox
September 26th, 2001, 01:48 PM
The new Star Trek series, Enterprise, starts tonight at 8pm on the UPN network. Anybody else planning on watching it? I've been looking forward to it, but I have significant reservations about Scott Bakula as a starfleet captain. Guess I'll find out soon if it's any good or not.

Cygnus
September 26th, 2001, 08:06 PM
I have it on tape, but I haven't watched it yet. I also have high hopes for this series. Perhaps that will just lead to a bigger let down, but I don't think so. I like Scott Bakula from the days of Quantum Leap and I think he'll be just fine as a captain. Of course I really liked Voyager, and I think I was the only fan left there at the end! So my taste in Star Trek spin-off's might be in question! http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

I've read several reviews and they all gave the pilot episode high marks, so that's a start anyway. Of course two of them were written by guys and each devoted at least one paragraph to the Vulcan, apparently the sex symbol of the show.

I'll update with my opinion of the show when I get a chance to watch it.

FitzChivalry
September 27th, 2001, 01:12 AM
We don't have that show here yet, but i really liked Scott Bakula in Quantum Leap and i'm pretty intrigued to see him as the Captain of the Enterprise, i'll watch it when it gets here.

Lady Fox
September 27th, 2001, 02:52 AM
Watched episode one last night. It was pretty good. Bakula did okay as the captain, but there is dissention in the ranks that is definitely not regular Starfleet banter. I'm going to keep watching the show and see where it goes.

Hobbit
September 27th, 2001, 09:04 AM
We won't get this until January on cable, I understand, though there are significant differences between it and the usual Federation shenanigans, I understand. Still sounds a little too formulaic to me (insert Vulcan here, cool captain here..etc.) but I'd hate to make any proper judgement till I've seen it. The reviews I've read liked it. It's certainly a long way away from Roddenbury's 'let's-all-be nice-and-get-on-with-each-other' view that was behind the original ST.

Hobbit

Cygnus
September 27th, 2001, 06:26 PM
Well, I watched it and I liked it.
This series is easier to relate to than any of the other Star Trek shows. They don't really have any idea what they're doing yet, technology doesn't work smoothly and they're not all "let's all just get along". Their translators are limited and they exhibit rational fear at the idea of being "beamed up" (How does that limerick from Hitchhiker's Guide go?).

It almost felt like Aliens in some parts more than Star Trek. I was actually feeling suspense while watching a couple of scenes, and that has never happened while watching any other Star Trek. It has more of a chaotic feel to it and I like that.

Cadfael
September 27th, 2001, 06:31 PM
Hold on, an inconsisancy here!

This series is set about 150 years from now I understand... first contact with the Vulcans is not made until later... or am I wrong?

prolly am http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif Oh God I sound like a trekkie!

Just done a check and as usual I am totally wrong, I thought First Contact was in 2175... it is in 2060, right... I shall go and boil my head now

[This message has been edited by dennizm (edited September 27, 2001).]

Lady Fox
September 28th, 2001, 02:30 AM
Dennizm, you are hereby stricken from the True Trekkie fan club. Everybody knows when first contact was made. Duh! j/k :-)

Cadfael
September 28th, 2001, 05:55 AM
Dennizm, you are hereby stricken from the True Trekkie fan club.

*wipes a tear from his eye*

Lady Fox, thankyou... that is the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me. Any chance you could get me thrown out of the 'X-Files' fan club as well. http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Lady Fox
September 30th, 2001, 01:23 PM
Sorry Dennizm, I was thrown out of that one a long time ago. LOL!