PDA

View Full Version : Millennium

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Keyoke
July 24th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Well, Millennium finally came out on DVD. It was the second show by X-Files creator Chris Carter. While it didn't last very long (3 years) I thought the show was amazing, espically the first 2 years of it. I thought the third was weak, but, the show lost some of it's creators..but, still, there was some gems in the season.

I'm a huge fan of the show. Just thought I'd let everyone know it's out there, the first season. :)

The Time is Now.

This is who we are.

Keyoke

Kanin
July 25th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Yep. I just picked this up yesterday. I'm a huge fan of the show and it's nice to finally be able to replace my worn out VCR tapes with DVDs.

I just think the Lance's Frank Black is one of the best characters to appear on TV in a long, long time.

I can't wait to dig into the special features on the DVD set.

Priestvyrce
July 25th, 2004, 10:58 AM
What really bugged me about the third season, is that it seemed to disregard what had happen in the first two seasons. Plus, I missed a few episodes of the second season and got quite lost during the third season. It got to the point where I was even sure where the series was going.

I can't even remember what the Millennium group was suppose to be about?

Eventine
July 26th, 2004, 12:13 AM
Man, it's not out over here yet. I hope they give it an Australian release, the whole multi region thing gives me the werrets.

I just had a look at the episode titles - mn they're cool. That was one eerie show...

Kanin
July 26th, 2004, 08:10 AM
Yes, it was a very dark, disturbing show. It's amazing that this show was even aired on TV 7-8 years ago.

I'll agree that the third season lacked a bit, but the first two seasons are brilliant.

Priestvyrce
July 26th, 2004, 08:48 AM
It was mentioned in the first year that Frank Black and Fox Mulder were buds of a sort. I was wondering did Mulder ever do an episode of Millenium?

Hobbit
July 26th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Agree - Millennium was a brilliant series, and in my opinion better than the X-Files, which I always considered to be a bit of a one trick pony. The episode in Season 1 which I think was called Powers, Principalities, Thrones and Dominions (about two from the end) is one of the scariest things I've ever seen on TV - if you've got the DVD, try some freeze frame towards the end!

It was let down though by a patchy airtime in the UK.

It was first shown on the independent TV networks here, which meant that it could vary from region to region. It started off well, being shown at 10/11 pm on a Sunday night, but soon got shifted later/earlier to 1.00am/2.00 am. Being a downbeat, violent and rather slow series that took time to develop, it was not the ratings success expected by the programmers expecting 'another X-Files'.

The second and third series have never been shown on UK terrestrial TV. (but then again, neither has The Lone Gunmen, as far as I know, (thank goodness!), nor Harsh Realm, that I'd quite like to see!)

Until recently, the first and third series were shown on cable/satellite on the SciFi (UK) channel. That made a complete nonsense of the story line, but I understand it was because ITV held the rights to the second series and did not want to relinquish them. The times varied though (usually after midnight), days varied and running order was muddled. I was told that some of the second series has appeared there recently, but again, varying times and muddled order - I didn't see any though.

So I'm waiting for the second series on DVD which is September here, with Season 3 and a Complete Box Set in October.

LATER EDIT: Priestvyrce, there was an episode of the X-Files called (surprisingly) Millennium in Series 7 (or so - think it was the last with Mulder in it full time) that linked the two series together. Both Frank Black and his daughter were in it; it was an attempt by Chris Carter to tie up the loose ends left by the cancellation of Millennium in Season 3.

Hobbit

Kanin
July 26th, 2004, 10:00 PM
There was also a Millinneum episode where Frank is walking by FBI headquarters in Washington D.C. and in the backround are two people who match Mulder and Scully in appearance. A little backround joke by the creators.

I can't remember what episode it was, but when I watch it again on DVD, I'll make sure a post it here. It may have been Season 2.

Hobbit
August 5th, 2004, 08:51 AM
OK - I couldn't resist it and have now bought the box set - there's some nice deals around, if you look.

I am working my way through - nice to see them in order and am noticing things I didn't remember from first time round. The quality of the DVD picture is excellent, as too the sound (sadly, not surround sound as this was in the days before such things were thought of as acceptable for a mere TV series).

Nevertheless, highly recommended, if you have the stomach for it - it does start to seem like a long while ago though!

Hobbit

Kanin
October 1st, 2004, 06:31 PM
I just found out that Millinneum Season 2 hits stores here in the US, on January 4th 2005.

That seems like a long time, but I'll have plenty to watch until then.