PDA

View Full Version : "The Lathe of Heaven"

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Nebulous Vapor
October 6th, 2001, 03:32 PM
One of my all time favorite movies that were made for TV is "The Lathe Of Heaven" by Ursula K LeGuin. I saw it many years ago on PBS (20 yrs?), and then it dissappeared for ages. I've heard that it is avalable again, and am wondering, will it be on TV again? If so, where and when. Does anyone out ther remember this classic story, it introduced me to Ms LeGuin. For that I'm eternaly grateful! In my humble opinion, she is one of the greatest living writers, in SF/Fan and, really in writing period! This movie ws very faithful to the book and I remember the special effects were subtle and effective. I certainly hope that this is reaired so that another generation can see it(as well as myself). I guess I've rambled enough for now.

Rob B
October 8th, 2001, 04:07 AM
It was on PBS a year or two ago for some kind of anniversary.

A DVD and Video were released recently.

Kyleran
October 14th, 2001, 07:55 AM
I've got an interesting story about "The Lathe of Heaven". Back when I was in high school I noticed the book in my school's library. I loved the title, cover, and what it was about. When I saw the pictures on the back (photos from the tv movie) I was really drawn to it. Unfortuantely, I kept putting off reading the book.

Fast forward a few years later. My first year of college I take the recommended courses. The most amazing coincidence happened or should I say synchronicity. The English class I take has a teacher who is focused on Science Fiction. I think she was doing a master's on science fiction concepts and geared the class to cover it exclusively. Naturally, I was in Heaven. But to add to the synchronicity, one of the books that was covered was "The Lathe of Heaven". The class covered five science fiction books and the movies made from the books.

She had a devil of a time getting the PBS movie for Lathe. They sent her a video tape that broadcasting companies use, so it was useless for a VCR. She had to get it copied to a VHS tape. Anyway, we were able to read and watch 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Handmaid's Tale, The Andromeda Strain, 2010, and The Lathe of Heaven.

For a science fiction fan this class was a dream come true!

Kyleran

Sammie
October 15th, 2001, 03:36 AM
What does PBS mean????

karljah
October 15th, 2001, 04:04 PM
PBS is Public Broadcasting. They show opera, symphony concerts, Masterpiece Theatre, educational shows like NOVA. Non commercial, they have pledge drives to raise money, and free of most of the bad things from the rest of TV.

So I take it everyone recommends this book/movie? The only thing of hers that I've read was The Left Hand of Darkness, and I thought it was masterful writing. Guess I know what I'm renting this weekend, or should I wait and read the book first. You know how they LOVE to wreck the book to make a "better" movie.

Sammie
October 16th, 2001, 02:36 AM
Cheers!