View Full Version : Good Prompt????

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

SubZero61992
July 26th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Prompt Executed.

The prompt has been deleted. Please do not reply to this post.

Jamza1986
July 27th, 2004, 05:02 AM
I'm sure I played the game version of that on my snes in about 15 different rpg games... :rolleyes: Seriously, you need to post a little more than that. I'm sure its a great story, but if you condense into a description that small, the story is bound to sound generic. Add a little more and I'm sure it'll be fine.

SubZero61992
July 27th, 2004, 10:25 AM
I'm sure I played the game version of that on my snes in about 15 different rpg games... :rolleyes: Seriously, you need to post a little more than that. I'm sure its a great story, but if you condense into a description that small, the story is bound to sound generic. Add a little more and I'm sure it'll be fine.

That is only ideas.

I have not written anything, not anything related to it.
It is only an idea lingering in my head.
What games is it on?

Jamza1986
July 27th, 2004, 10:40 AM
I just mean it sounds like the generic rpg story, like final fantasy or legend of zelda or something. I think you might be falling into a big generic trap. Come at it as literature with fantasy elements, rather than a novelisation of the typical console rpg. Maybe ditch gradually gaining powers, and change it to gradual character development.

SubZero61992
July 27th, 2004, 10:45 AM
I just mean it sounds like the generic rpg story, like final fantasy or legend of zelda or something. I think you might be falling into a big generic trap. Come at it as literature with fantasy elements, rather than a novelisation of the typical console rpg. Maybe ditch gradually gaining powers, and change it to gradual character development.

This is how i found sffWorld, I was looking for the Fantasy guidelines.
Like, what is required to be a true fantasy.
Is their a Fantasy website for that?

JRMurdock
July 29th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Your idea, SubZero, is indeed very generic and very 'game' sounding. If you're going to go that route, you need a very special twist that hasn't been thought of or done before. The best thing to do is spend 10-15 minutes and brainstorm the idea (similar to what I posted in the Snags thread (http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8383). Write out as much detail about what you want to do. Then do some research and see if anyone else has done anything like that. From the initial sounds of it, the answer is yes. If you pursue that path, you may be headed for quick rejections based on an un-original story.

Don't want to bust your bubble, but try to expand on your idea before tossing it aside. Just remember, not every idea you come up with will make a great story. I've found that out by writing a LOT of short stories this year. Most are ok, some are good, only a few (in my own opinion) are really good. Sometimes I surprise myself. ALL of my stories came from a single thought that I expanded on until I had a good idea where I was starting from and where I was going. Some have gotten abandonded along the way as well.

Best of luck. Post some more ideas you have about this and why you think it'd be an original idea. We'd love to hear them.