View Full Version : Gargoyles

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

SubZero61992
July 27th, 2004, 03:25 PM
I am gathering characters for a book and while watching T.V. my eyes skimmed over Gargoyles.
I selected the channel and they were an instant idea for my stories.

Anyone else see this as a wonderful idea of a character?

Here is my list of Gargoyle ( I made this up )

- Strong, monster like creatures.
- sworn to protect good and kill evil
- weapons are swords, Flails, double-bladed axes, staffs
- they can fly and use their wings as a forceful wind to knock off enemys
- when at full temper legend is the sky will turn red-orange and their roar will be heard everywhere.

JRMurdock
July 29th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Though this 'sounds' like a good idea, you're taking what's already a children's cartoon and converting it to your own. This is touchy ground. I'd be very careful of doing a 'copy-cat' of something like that. Best to strike out on your own and head for uncharted waters.

SubZero61992
July 29th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Though this 'sounds' like a good idea, you're taking what's already a children's cartoon and converting it to your own. This is touchy ground. I'd be very careful of doing a 'copy-cat' of something like that. Best to strike out on your own and head for uncharted waters.

Um, only one of the characteristics is from the cartoon. But that is common with every Gargoyle.

JRMurdock
July 29th, 2004, 02:51 PM
But in the cartoon, aren't they do-gooders? Actually, all except the last item on your list was in the cartoon unless I'm mistaken. Not sure about weapons. I don't think they used any.

SubZero61992
July 29th, 2004, 02:59 PM
But in the cartoon, aren't they do-gooders? Actually, all except the last item on your list was in the cartoon unless I'm mistaken. Not sure about weapons. I don't think they used any.

Um........ they uphold the law....................they dont kill evil, only restrain...........they dont use their wings as a weapon...........

SO the way I see it is I have created a new generation of Gargoyles except the ability to fly...... and the strength.

Gargoyles were first used as a Holy staute by Catholics to ward demons away from their church.

JRMurdock
July 29th, 2004, 03:04 PM
Just seems like you're on touchy ground with this one. My opinion.

SubZero61992
July 29th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Just seems like you're on touchy ground with this one. My opinion.

Note: This is not a big thing that I might do with the gargoyles.
I thought it would be an exellent character.
I mean, I am not going to go and write a book called Gargoyles: Dawn of Light.

Dawnstorm
July 29th, 2004, 03:14 PM
If he hadn't mentioned the Gargoyles, would you have thought of them?

I doubt I would have.

JRMurdock
July 29th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Actually, Dawnstorm, I used to watch the cartoon. I'm a comic/cartoon geek. :) I still love watching Spongebob and Jimmy Neutron with my daughter. My wife thinks it's just an excuse to say I'm spending time with my daughter.

Subzero, it's not a big deal, as I mentioned in another thread, brainstorom out the idea to find out what makes this more unique and sets it apart from what's been done before. That'll help.

Dawnstorm
July 30th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Actually, Dawnstorm, I used to watch the cartoon. I'm a comic/cartoon geek. :) I still love watching Spongebob and Jimmy Neutron with my daughter. My wife thinks it's just an excuse to say I'm spending time with my daughter.

I watched it too. And a re-run, later. I love the gargoyles.

What SubZero described reminds me more of demons with the function of angels... as portrayed in japanese rpgs...