PDA

View Full Version : Godzilla Movies

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Cygnus
August 23rd, 2001, 03:03 PM
I think I have some kind of sickness. My newest fascination is watching Godzilla movies... on purpose! It's like watching a train wreck; you can't believe what you're seeing is real.. it's awful, yet fascinating.
The dubbing is horrible, the effects are laughable and the plots are so silly, but I just love these movies!

I've seen Godzilla 2000, Godzilla vs King Ghidora and Godzilla and Mothra. I did see the Godzilla that Hollywood did, and that was awful in a way I didn't like. The Japanese really know what they're doing!

I'm thinking of building up my own Godzilla movie library. Ordinarily I'm a sane and rational person, really! Anyone else out there similarly afflicted?

Alucard
August 23rd, 2001, 04:03 PM
I have to admit it, I have watched quite a few of the godzilla movies and actually enjoyed them. I have a thing for B-movies and bad special effects. Its funny, yet ridiculous, yet entertaining, yet awful, and all at the same time. But the u.s. incarnation was painful. It didn't have any of the silly japanese charm. It was trying to be serious, which was what completely ruined it.

Rob B
August 24th, 2001, 03:44 AM
I admit to being a Godzilla fan for most of my life.

There is a really great flea market by my house that sells imported Godzilla films. The would sell the recent Japanese made films about 5-6 months after japanese release subtitled.

I also used to get the G-Fan magazine and the fans that wrote in totally (and rightfully so) ripped apart Jurassic-zilla.

Cygnus
August 24th, 2001, 04:08 PM
What a dream to find them all at a flea market. It just doesn't seem right to pay full price for them! I'll be scrounging through used book stores and garage sales in my area for the forseeable future.

I heard that there is a godzilla movie with the actor who played Perry Mason, is this true? If so, what is the title?

mundanemies
October 20th, 2001, 11:52 PM
Can't remember the title in English, but the Godzilla with Raymond Burr (Perry Mason) in it is actually the first original Godzilla with additional footage filmed by an American packager. Haven't see that one, but i have seen the original and about half-a-dozen others. Brilliant stuff.
I'm a BIG b-movie/turkey-film buff/aficionado. There's bunch of us back in Finland, who gather at (usually our place until I moved to US) somewhere and have a riotous B-night! It's pretty much beer, chili and eight-nine barrel-bottom examples of money not-well spent. This has been going on 11 years now and one would think that there simply would not exist that much c-r-a-p in the world, but no! There's always more, infinitely more of the same stuff, from producers of the previous film, to paraphrase (I mean "mangle) a quote.