PDA

View Full Version : Statistics

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Hellsfire
July 30th, 2004, 04:05 AM
I was wondering if any of you know where to find statistics on things that's going on in the publishing industry. I'm mainly looking for various fantasy stats. Please let me know if any of you know of anything.

James Barclay
July 30th, 2004, 04:51 AM
What sort of stats are you looking for? Number of submissions versus publications? Number of fantasy imprints? Average number of orcs per novel? :)

Be useful to know what you want to know.

NOM

Hellsfire
July 31st, 2004, 03:26 PM
What sort of stats are you looking for? Number of submissions versus publications? Number of fantasy imprints? Average number of orcs per novel? :)

Be useful to know what you want to know.

NOM

I'd like to know it all, but what do I really need? Hmm...I guess I'm curious as to how well first person fantasy does as opposed to the rest and how well less bright covers without half naked do? Did that make any sense? Not to mention how well fantasy series do or to see if book sells drop off around the 5th or 6th book. That's all I can think of right now.

James Barclay
August 5th, 2004, 05:20 PM
OK... well most of what you ask for comes with the opening words 'It depends...'

I can't give you numbers but I can give you personal experience and some knowledge.

1st person - there isn't much of it so a comparison is a little unfair. There is no reason why it shouldn't work well in fantasy as in other genres but the fact there is so relatively little might tell its own story about how easy it is to write credibly and then sell. Don't let that put you off though.

Covers - stand-out is getting more and more important, particularly when you don't have a name that sells automatically. The 'classic' cover you are describing is on the decline. When my books were re-covered and went against the then accepted style (they are silhouettes, one bright colour plus black and with stylish scripting) the sales increased. People do look for different things but in the end, your publisher, not you, will design the cover.

Fantasy series do well... there is not much stand-alone out there in real terms. Writers, publishers and readers like to invest time in characters and worlds in fantasy and this will typically span more than one book, often three and in some cases, as many as possible. In terms of sales, they hold up if the quality holds up in most cases. It's down to the writer to produce the best work he or she can and trust that readers will follow the series in increasing numbers.

There's no hard and fast rule, unfortunately.

I expect I have been no help at all...

NOM

Hellsfire
August 6th, 2004, 04:42 AM
OK... well most of what you ask for comes with the opening words 'It depends...'

I can't give you numbers but I can give you personal experience and some knowledge.

1st person - there isn't much of it so a comparison is a little unfair. There is no reason why it shouldn't work well in fantasy as in other genres but the fact there is so relatively little might tell its own story about how easy it is to write credibly and then sell. Don't let that put you off though.

Covers - stand-out is getting more and more important, particularly when you don't have a name that sells automatically. The 'classic' cover you are describing is on the decline. When my books were re-covered and went against the then accepted style (they are silhouettes, one bright colour plus black and with stylish scripting) the sales increased. People do look for different things but in the end, your publisher, not you, will design the cover.

Fantasy series do well... there is not much stand-alone out there in real terms. Writers, publishers and readers like to invest time in characters and worlds in fantasy and this will typically span more than one book, often three and in some cases, as many as possible. In terms of sales, they hold up if the quality holds up in most cases. It's down to the writer to produce the best work he or she can and trust that readers will follow the series in increasing numbers.

There's no hard and fast rule, unfortunately.

I expect I have been no help at all...

NOM

Much obliged. I would say you've been helpful but I guess I'll never truly know until I get my foot through the door.

Curious though. There's nothing like a Publisher's Weekly or something where you can look and get stats like how much this author sold last year, among other stuff?

James Barclay
August 6th, 2004, 05:58 AM
Somwhere, sales stats will be gathered no doubt. Not sure what Publisher's Weekly does in that regard. I'll have a word with my publisher when I can and find out if anything is made public and where.

NOM