PDA

View Full Version : What went wrong with The X-Files?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 [2]

fluffy bunny
September 4th, 2003, 09:14 PM
Loved the early series with the stand alone episodes of spooky goings ons

I think one of the main problems later on was the ongoing storyline with the conspiracy plots that weren't thought out all the way (ok there was an episode at the end explaining it all, but face it- covuluted and contrived). It lost a lot of the simplicity of the early episodes IMHO.

The episodes of early Doggett were a refreshing return to form. Shame it didn't last. Ah well there were gems in the later series but it did become hit and miss to be honest.

Now if they'd thought out the ongoing storyline properly at the start it could have been awesome (eg B5 Season 1-4).

kahnovitch
September 4th, 2003, 09:53 PM
I also liked the unusual and more original stories that the show had dealing with anything other than aliens.

The one thing that bugged me the most about the X-files was the show's obsession with aliens, and they were of course the good old greys that we've seen in a thousand and one other SF films/series etc.
I got completely fed up with the little feckers and if I saw so much as a glimpse of a UFO or a little, grey, bald slaphead, I'd change the channel.

milamber_reborn
September 5th, 2003, 12:03 AM
Great series from start to finish.

Losing Mulder was a huge hit, but they did well. They kept Scully, added the great Robert Patrick, as well as the black-haired woman who was cool.

The Mulder storyline at the end was the best they could have done with David Duchovny trying to cut his contract short.

I liked the over-arching storyline, but thought it a bit disappointing that they didn't end the series with THE INVASION. All humanity should have been taken over by the clones and hybrids, but the producers didn't have the balls.

Gildor
September 5th, 2003, 12:35 PM
The majority of the last few seasons were quite poor but there was a few stunning episodes, some with those super soldiers, where they kept trying to kill them, and i remember seeing the remains of one being just a piece of metal that was its artificial spine start revolving and adding to itself slowly creating a spine again, the amount of effort put into killing one :D

anyway i saw it an age ago but still something that stuck out in my mind.

There were alot of highlights but far too many downpoints too be honest. :(

The complex story was far cry from the early more simplistic episodes that i remember watching when i was a Kid.

Some of the earlier ones scared the S**T out of me !!

Being only 7 or 8 at the time :p

Kanin
September 5th, 2003, 01:56 PM
I blame Fox television for giving Chris Carter too much money to continue the series after he thought it was done.

Of course, the following seasons were still better than most of the crap out there.

Gotta love it when Scully and Reyes are wearing those tight white tank tops.