PDA

View Full Version : How come there are hardly any Fantasy movies?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Pixie
April 12th, 2001, 09:54 PM
Hi everyone. I am new to this board, please forgive me if this topic has come up before.

How come there are hardly any Fantasy movies being produced? Off the top of my head I can think of a few: Legend, Excalibur, Conan (I guess), The whole Star Wars series. Also, of course there is the upcoming LOTR.

Why so few? How come the Belgariad has not been made into a movie? Surely it would be a huge success. I know there are web sites where people vote on actors who would be perfect for certain characters (Sean Connery=Belgarath!). In addition, the fact that there are so many multi-book series out there leads to a great potential for sequels. What is going on? Feist, GRRM, Jordan, Goodkind. All of these authours' series would make great movies. And I think they would be huge successes (if done well).

Hopefully LOTR and maybe even Harry Potter will make people realize the potential here. Of course, books are always better than movies, so maybe we are better off without them!

Any thoughts?

Thanks and happy reading!

Cannon Fodder
April 13th, 2001, 01:09 AM
Probably becuase it's rather difficult and costly to faithfully put these fantasy novels onto the big screen. With the advent of CGI it might not be such an obstacle.

FitzChivalry
April 13th, 2001, 01:48 AM
Most fantasy series are so big that they will fit better into a mini-series, some like The Wheel of Time, Riftwar, or A song of ice and fire will need complete tv series. SO i wouldn't want them to be squized into a movie and be ruined anyway.

But of course, there are always original scripts and there are enough stand-alones and short trilogies to make into movies, why they don't do it?
Probably because they don't think it would pay off... fantasy movies aren't really block busters. Except for Star Wars, but that's because it has sci fi elements, and sci fi movies are the biggest block busters.

Rob B
April 13th, 2001, 04:02 AM
Here are a couple of older threads with some opinions on the subject:
Fantasy films (http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000306.html)
Lord of the Rings MOVIE coming soon... (http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000245.html)

A couple of Fantasy movies soon to be released:
Shrek CGI anmiation about and Ogre(Mike Myers) and a talking Donkey (Eddie Murphy) NOT Disney, looks fun.
A Knight's Tale About a knight in a jousting tournament
Reign of Fire Dragons return to Earth in the near future.

Scope of stories and technology to show fantastical settings are 2 main stumbling blocks. Technology for FX is there now, but scope is still a problem.

Zsinj16
April 13th, 2001, 06:41 AM
Yeah, Shrek looks hillarious!! My Mom and sister can't wait to see it. It looks like a humorous fantasy story such as Piers Anthony would make up. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a hand in writing this movie. Btw, I haven't heard of that Reign of Fire movie before,but it sure sounds cool!! It sounds like a type of movie that would be written by Weiss & Hickman. Has anyone seen the Dungeons & Dragons movie? I never got the chance to see it, but it looks really cool!! Some people said it really stank, though. I haven't read the Dragonlance books yet, but I eagerly plan to, and believe me, those books look like they could be made into excellent movies!! Also I would like to see movies based on the Forgotten Realms series, which I also have not read yet, but plan to.

[This message has been edited by Zsinj16 (edited April 13, 2001).]

wolfshead
April 13th, 2001, 07:08 AM
Zsinj16, don't bother with DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS,unless you want a good laugh for all the wrong reasons! Wait for the video! The dragons were cool but everything else was cliche and bore little resemblance to the game...Jeremy irons as the baddie was highly amusing, trying to yell over the thunderous soundtrack...
Fantasy movies seemed to be at their peak in the 80's. Unfortunately, they probably died out because no one seemed to want to produce a movie with a different plot--most of them consisted of a muscley hero rescing his lady-love from an evil sorcerer, usually with a few token dragons or unicorns chucked in for good measure.

Asha'man
April 13th, 2001, 02:34 PM
Fantasy movies......That is a subject i have thought alot about, the only reason i can think of is that while reading a series that totally envelopes you, such as Robert Jorden's the wheel of time, or George rr Martins, A song of Ice and Fire series, you create your own characters, you take as much info that the author can give you and make it your own, conform it to relate to your own life and experiences. If someone where to make a movie based on Rand and mat and the whole wheel of time world, which would take a lot of hard work and creativity to do, it would probably be just another fantasy movie. The actors they got to portray the characters would never live up to the characters we created in our own imaginations. The people i spent those long cold nights with, battlings trolls with Drizzt, Trying to learn how to be a leader and king with rand, trying to understand women with mat and perrin, understanding what it is like not to have all the answers you want, but to go fourth and discover them with Lerris, they can never be replaced by even the greatest of actors. I think that a great book series needs ti be just that, a book series, that can conform to the reader and be a different experience to each indivdual. Now, if you will excuse me, i need to go finish the laundry.

Jake

Gooch
April 13th, 2001, 06:45 PM
I think one of the Main reasons is that a lot of them come across like Dungeons & Dragons:The Movie, so producers don't want to risk the money. (PeeeeUuuuuuuu)

I continue to hope beyond hope that LOTR is going to be our saving grace, and end up being as good, and as big a phenom as Star Wars. If comes out like D&D, I vow now to personally hunt down the director do mean things to him.

Zsinj16
April 15th, 2001, 02:34 PM
You have a point there about the conforming part, Ashaman. Take me for example, when I read the LOTR Trilogy and the Hobbit, I knew that Tolkien didn't intend for the elves of Middle-Earth to have pointed ears, but I just couldn't help imagining them without pointed ears! I also imagined the hobbits and dwarves having pointed ears also, which I don't think Tolkien intended for them to have either. You gotta love those pointed ears! http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/wink.gif

Shehzad
April 16th, 2001, 12:01 AM
If LOTR turns out anything like D&D, I think Peter Jackson will only have the International Spac Station as a refuge from us fans. Hey, even if it doesn't stink he might not be safe... http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif