PDA

View Full Version : What is the genre of this story

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

theredpen
August 4th, 2004, 08:55 PM
I realize this may be a stupid question but; I have in my hot little hands a finished short story I want to send off to a publisher somewhere. I usually write SFF things and this is more a 'true life tale' about a guy who has an encounter with a rabid animal, but it is more social commentary and not overly gory, with an upbeat ending. The tale was told as I heard it, the place and time is real, the characters are fictional but based on real ones, and I had to fill in the details of course. Is it plain old fiction, drama, or non-fiction?. So far the only person I asked suggested it is fantasy. Ridiculous! it sort of reads like SFF but there is no fantasy payoff.
-Thanks to anybody interested enough to tell me what to call this.
PS, don't write outside your genre, or you'll have to look for a whole new set of publishers, geez...

Expendable
August 4th, 2004, 09:25 PM
If its a true life encounter of a man with a rabid animal but the characters are fictional and its social commentary, try drama (first choice) or fiction.

*sigh*

This would be so much easier if we could read it! ;) But publishers don't like it if its been 'exposed'. :rolleyes:

*sigh*

I'm sure there's alot of outdoor magazines who'd pay for a story like that.

KatG
August 5th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Off-hand I'd say that you have either a literary fiction story or a horror story if the rabid animal, say, attacks the child, causing him to die a horrible death. I'm guessing that probably didn't happen in the story. :) If there are no fantastic elements, it is not a fantasy. If there's no speculative science in it or in the background, it's not a sf story.

As a straight fictional story, the bad news is that you will have to go to different types of magazines. The good news is that this market for short fiction is much larger (though not necessarily well-paying.) There are a lot of print literary magazines, many from university presses, and there are loads of on-line magazines. If you really think it's good, you might want to try a big national magazine like "Story."