View Full Version : The appeal of Final Fantasy

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

saintjon
August 5th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Yeah I just had to post this. Discuss or not, I thought it was a funny spin on the big main forum thread.

Final Fantasy seems to be as much as (or more than possibly) a cultural phenomenon as epic fantasy right now. If you're part of my generation you're at least aware of these games and they definitely have their own set of tropes, story and otherwise.

So just what is it we love about these games so much? I've been playing the first for a week now for the first time since I was a kid and loving every minute of it. The gameplay remains largely the same, so is it new approaches to the story that keep people coming back? Watching your characters go from fragile weaklings to godlike paragons?

Food for thought: The Final Fantasy title count (including offshoots and such) rivals Mario. I'm not sure on the actual numbers, but final fantasy has more main line titles and a bunch of it's own offshoots to boast (Kingdom Hearts, Tactics etc.)

kahnovitch
August 8th, 2004, 05:54 AM
The Final Fantasy series had all the elements of a classic RPG. Nice development of skills, diversity of characters to choose in the group and generally a pretty good storyline and history.
I've only played 7 & 8 (liked 7 the best) but the simplicity of the combat and controls made them very user friendly and compelling.

They also had a unique meld of fantasy and sci-fi that is typical of the Japanese manga style.

saintjon
August 10th, 2004, 06:21 PM
Cheers Khan I highly recommend going back and giving 1, 4 and 6 a try though. Part 4 was such a groundbreaking game, they tried some story elements in that one that they haven't touched with a 10' pole since (thinking of Rydia here especially).

I haven't played X or X-2, although I did try XI, man did I ever get bored with that after awhile, although my Galka monk was pretty solid. Has there been a decline or is it simply that they haven't innovated enough?

Chrystyna
August 11th, 2004, 08:21 PM
I am currently playing X at the moment i have found it to be a good game but there are not as many Aeons in X as there were in 7 or 8.
8 was good because of the fact that you could draw off the monsters there is a down side to that though as when you use them you have to go an draw more which is repative and can be annoying 7 had a good story line.
9 well need i say more but that im pleased they went back to people instead of cartoony type characters :D

saintjon
August 11th, 2004, 09:54 PM
as my avatar shows I liked the cartoony characters myself. They were there first! :P lol

They definitely tried on some different hats with 8 but overall it didn't do it for me. Junction is a neat idea as a gaming mechanic but it just seemed so weird that people would have to do that. Imagine if you had to draw fire magic from your cat if you wanted to be stronger :confused:

kahnovitch
August 12th, 2004, 04:41 AM
I think the main problem with FF8 was the sort of dependancy on the summon beasts or "Guardian Force" creatures that seemed to be the backbone of the magic system.
The more you used them the faster they got etc, but there wasn't enough development of the actual combat skills of the characters themselves.
Plus acquiring new weapons for you posse was bloody hard to do as you actually had to build them yourself using bits of leftovers from defeated monsters etc. Or wierder yet, turn monsters into cards and cards into monster parts!?

saintjon
August 15th, 2004, 09:52 PM
lol yeah the ff8 gods must be on some really expensive crack.

zev
August 19th, 2004, 06:05 PM
wat do u guys think about the magic systems of the games?

In my mind they perfected the magic system in FF7, man i just loved materia and watching it grow and become more powerful

saintjon
August 20th, 2004, 11:02 AM
Frankly I prefer the ones like 1,4, and 9 when not just any character can learn magic. To me it kind of deflates the whole idea if just any old chum who finds a materia/esper/guardian force can start flinging around deadly combat magic. Furthermore when your whole party can use ultima who's going to bother with swords really? This has ALWAYS been a gripe I've had since part 6 came out, and I was happier than I can say when part 9 came along and finally offered a game with a line between melee classes and casters.

kahnovitch
August 22nd, 2004, 06:44 AM
Furthermore when your whole party can use ultima who's going to bother with swords really?

That's a good point SJ. In more traditional RPG's there is a clearly defined line between fighters, mages, thiefs etc, and it's far too easy to summon a menagerie of ultimate beasties to do your fighting for you.
However FF parties are limited to three active members (in my experience of ff7 & ff8) so I suppose you need them to be good all rounders.
But then I find console games are generally more simplified than their PC equivalents.