PDA

View Full Version : First Techniques of Writing?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

SubZero61992
August 5th, 2004, 08:46 PM
I would take Starwars characters and write stories with them, from Dash Rendar teaching Luke how to use the force to a story called ' I Promise' ( very, very boring)

Later I began to write pointless love stories just to write about a lucky guy or something.

Then I got the idea for ' Old Time Fantasy', swords, Ninjas, Warriors, etc.
That is the idea I stick with today.

World Builder
August 5th, 2004, 09:30 PM
I think the first story I wrote was a fanfic sequel to Jurassic Park and The Lost World (novel versions). Basically it just rehashed unused ideas from the novels. That was seven or eight years ago. Around the time Jurassic Park III was coming out, I reimagined the idea with a cast of all original characters. The only thing tying it to the films was the setting, Isla Sorna. I eventually abandonned the story when I gave up fanfic, but it comes back to haunt me every now and then, begging to be finished. I know when I die, my ghost is going to wander the earth until this "unfinished business" is completed. :)

On a similar note, my space opera began as a Star Wars fanfic that through the course of its development drifted farther and farther away from Lucas' world. By the time I gave up writing fanfic, it had snowballed into something drastically different, picking up inspiration and elements from other scifi I've read and seen. It's still got some SW at the core, but its wrapped up in Le Guin, Card, Asimov, Heinlein, Gibson, etc.

Actually, now that I think about it, there's an older spark of a story that I have recently resurrected. It began in third grade just goofing off with a friend. The story now is quite different from the original version from 12 years ago. The only thing they have in common is that the new version shares the same map (with some thematic changes).