View Full Version : Wrist Strength

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

SubZero61992
August 9th, 2004, 05:14 PM
My privacy problem has forced me to start writing stories by hand.
After two or three sentences my wrist hurts terribly and when it seems to be gone I will start again but it instantly comes back.

JRMurdock
August 9th, 2004, 06:07 PM
1) Keep writing (I wrote my first two books by hand).
2) Weights; buy a 5 pound weight and do wrist curls. Does wonders.

SubZero61992
August 9th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Can do.

Got 5 pound weights and all the way to 200 pound weights.

choppy
August 9th, 2004, 11:03 PM
I don't think weight training will help much with fine motor skills. And keep in mind that it's not healthy for anyone under 14 to do serious weight training. You're bones are still growing below that age and undue stress on them can interfer with proper growth.

Practice will improve your stamina Proper ergonomics and form are also good. When you write, try to use your wrist as little as possible. I've heard you're actually supposed to use your whole arm (which is more tiring at first).

And just wait until you have to write a 3 hour final exam. Ouch!

PaxNoctis
August 10th, 2004, 09:51 AM
As a drummer, I can help here.

Exercising at your age isn't a good idea. Stretching, however, is, and can save your arms, Carpal Tunnels and Wrists for years to come. As a drummer there are 3-4 stretches I do before a set, and the same works for typing or handwriting.

1) Extend your arms in front of you, fingers spread wide, With your arms straight, push and hold your hands down until you feel a stretching (around a 90 degree bend at the wrist.

2) Do the same, only with the hand bend up.

3) Repeat the 2 above, with a closed fist.

4) Extend your arms out to the side (A 'T') with fingers outstretched and imagine something pulling you apart gently. Stretch out.

You'll be fine.

brightcrow
August 10th, 2004, 10:33 AM
I think you need to relax your grip when you write. If you're not used to doing much writing, you might tend to hold it too tight. The best way to strengthen the writing muscles is to write more often and be patient. Take breaks, move your hands, but in time the muscles will become stronger.

When I was your age, we didn't have computers at all, or even type until high school. Since writing was our only way of putting thoughts down on paper, our muscles became accustomed to it, and soreness was never a problem.

I can't wait to read your published work someday :)

SubZero61992
August 10th, 2004, 08:43 PM
I think you need to relax your grip when you write. If you're not used to doing much writing, you might tend to hold it too tight. The best way to strengthen the writing muscles is to write more often and be patient. Take breaks, move your hands, but in time the muscles will become stronger.

When I was your age, we didn't have computers at all, or even type until high school. Since writing was our only way of putting thoughts down on paper, our muscles became accustomed to it, and soreness was never a problem.

I can't wait to read your published work someday :)

Working on it.
I need the money..

Rira
August 13th, 2004, 05:28 PM
are you left handed? some left handed people curl their wrists when they write....some right handed people do, too, but i guess its more of a left handed thing. when i got tendonitis, that was the first thing my doctor asked me, because i am left handed.

SubZero61992
August 13th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Nope right-handed.
I dont curl my wrist much that I have noticed but that is still the pain area.

Jamza1986
August 14th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Hah, ye young'uns donne know what is like ta have writing problems. It were a cold day nigh two year ago I fell down a hill an near-broke me elbow lad. Being the hard, strong and brave lad I am, I laffed at the pain, giving me'self permenant elbow bone problems. If ah slide or hit me elbow while writin lad, I'm in agony, yet nigh two month ago ah did 10 exams with it, on a cooold desk with me coooold bones writing a side every 15 minutes fer three, whole hours laddy! Every time!

Ahem, true story. My elbow cannot be fixed. Alas I'm going to be in pain. My advice, be grateful you're not me... :o