PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Pages in Books?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

SubZero61992
August 10th, 2004, 08:49 PM
I have a few questions about the requierments of getting a book read to be published or edited.

How many pages? I use 70 page College ruled notebooks.
Will I need to copy it on printed paper if I write sloppy?

I may add more.

Hobbit
August 11th, 2004, 05:33 AM
According to the Nebula Awards, a novel is anything up of 40 000 words - thats about 160 hand written pages on a typical person's handwriting. (A novellas 17 500 - 40 000 words)

To be honest, SubZero, you'd need to wordprocess it before anyone would touch it in the trade.

Some people find writing anything direct to the screen difficult and write it on paper first - at least then you can translate your writing when you type it up! - others are quite happy typing and keeping it on computer direct. I'd choose whatever works for you.

The other thing is I would worry less about length and more about the story/stories you have to tell (and the way you want to tell it!) - however many words it takes! You can always edit, rewrite, expand or contract later.

Hobbit

SubZero61992
August 11th, 2004, 05:39 AM
Yes but should I just write my normal way or do I need to try and write neatly?

KEParrott
August 11th, 2004, 08:32 AM
I guess that depends on if you can read your own writing or not ;)

Like Hobbitt said, if you actually want to submit it somewhere its got to be typed.

Hobbit
August 13th, 2004, 05:27 AM
I guess it depends what you decide to do with it. You may want others to read it, in which it'll need to be neat. But if it's for you only, as long as you can read it, that should be OK. You may want to use your 'sloppy writing' for your notes and do a 'neater copy' later?

Hobbit