PDA

View Full Version : Do you write constantly or in shory bursts?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Drew
August 15th, 2004, 06:24 PM
I'll tell you the main reason I get so unproductive is that I can't sit and write daily or nightly. I will get bursts of inspiration that allow me to write over 7K words in a day! Usually over the course of a few hours in the evening.

But then I won't write for days or a week. I don't know if this is just me or if others have this problem? Any others?

Also, anyone got tips for me to get a more constant flow? Sometimes I will sit and read or listen to music and then write short peices based off of the material. They are usally pretty crappy, but they get me writing none the less.

What about you guys?

choppy
August 15th, 2004, 07:24 PM
For me it's a matter of so many things going on in my life. I'm aiming to defend a thesis in January so I've got to spend a lot of time in the lab (well, in front of a computer mostly) frying my brain. Between that, two part time jobs, trying to keep in shape, and spending some quality time with my fiancee there's not a lot of time for writing. So I have to take what time I can get.

Some things that work for me though:
1) I've made writing part of my daily schedule. Even if its just 500 words. Even if its crap. I sit down and type them out.

2) I also write for myself. You know how its good to end a chapter with a bit of a cliffhanger? If I'm inspired, I try not to write a completley resolved scene. I try to leave something hanging - just for me. That way I want to come back to what I've written and I pick up the action right away. Writing for yourself also makes the "escape" of writing a little more personal.

3) I also think that its okay to take a break here and there. If you're not a professional, presumably you're doing this for fun. There's no reason to make yourself suffer.

juzzza
August 16th, 2004, 04:08 AM
My problem is that I do write every day... Unfortunately it is not always fiction.

My job involves writing press releases, adverts, guidance notes, brochures and communications, plus study at the moment means writing research papers and theory heavy assignments on International Marketing... So when I get and open up a blank word document... I feel like crying :D

Well not quite, but you see what I mean. I have promised myself that when study is finished (end of the year all going well), I will start writing fiction again, or even just start editing what I have already completed and maybe finish some of the promising starts I have made.

I worked quite hard at getting publish credits for short stories, now I feel like I have to start again... An agent may wonder why it has been two or three years since I had anthing in print :rolleyes:

Holbrook
August 16th, 2004, 04:18 AM
I understand, sometimes I go days without writing.

My problem is I work best late morning and afternoons, I find it hard these days to write in the evening, too tired to be honest. At one time I could write until the wee hours,but find I can't now. Stupid health problems, if I do I pay for it, so its not worth it.

Thing is I work late mornings and afternoons, so most days I just get the house sorted, get in the right frame of mind and bam! I have to stop and go to work. So that makes it that most of my writing is done Saturday and Sunday, family and other things permitting.

I try to write or edit each day and mutter if I don't but until I either retire or win the lottery I write when I can and make the best of it.

Hereford Eye
August 16th, 2004, 08:10 AM
Morning person here. Get everything done by noon and goof off the rest of the time.

JRMurdock
August 16th, 2004, 10:36 AM
I write daily, even if it is just in this forum. I don't write when i travel, but I always get inspiration for new stories and bank those at the back of my head. When inspiration hits, I can also crank out a huge chunk of text. I try to force myself to sit and write because I know that once I get started, the top is open and ideas will pour out. In fact, I'm going to do some posting here this morning in the hopes that the creative tap opens while I do. :)

Gary Wassner
August 16th, 2004, 11:49 AM
When I am in the middle of a book, I write every day, and I can't wait to turn the power on to my laptop and get started. It's almost an obsession. And I have been in the middle of various books for the past five years now. So I have been non stop writing until last May. Then I had to work with my editor and proof all of the 'proofs', make the final changes and do the nonsense work that is really very important, but is not writing.

I run every day, and while I am running, I am writing in my head. So, by the time I am done and back at my computer, I am bursting to get moving with the story. When I am between books or projects, I feel almost empty. In fact, each time I finish a book, it's scary for me. It's like a drug - as the end approaches the emotions and energy build, and then it's all over! I look around me and i have this feeling like 'uh oh, now what?'. I try to tell myself that I need some time to read and relax, but I usually can't help myself from starting the next one......

Expendable
August 16th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Inspiration hits me and I have to sit down and write - but I can't always do that. So I make sure I take a notepad or notecards and a pen with me everywhere.

Best thing you can do is write daily. Set a schedule and sit down and write SOMETHING. Do one of the collaborative or interactive stories or do a play by email rpg - its creative and its writing. It's not much but it'll get you going.

And if you get an idea but you're not sure what to do with it, brainstorm with it. Add a few friends and see what they can add to the story.

ShellyS
August 16th, 2004, 08:10 PM
I write in long bursts, I guess. :cool: I don't write everyday and am not bothered by that. I have a fulltime job, a lot of hobbies--including blogging now--and I hate writing unless I have at least a block of 2 hours to devote to it. I didn't write during the week last week, but I wrote pretty much all weekend. My next window of opportunity is Wednesday, a day I have off, tho I need some time for housekeeping chores.

One thing I do sometimes do when not actually writing, is revise some of the more recently drafted scenes or do some proofreading, just to keep the story fresh in my mind. I tend to lose track of what's written if more than a few days go between writing sessions.

And then again, I took a whole 8 months away from my WIP when I couldn't figure out where it was going, a problem for me since I plot as I write. It's going fine now. :D

Rira
August 17th, 2004, 05:53 PM
my writing schedual is choppy at best. a few weeks ago, i was writing daily.....or nightly, rather.....it seemed i wrote best at midnight, and so for about a week i wrote every night from 11.00 til 4.30 or so, but then the loss of sleep started to catch up with me.....now i write here and there, and carry a mini notebook with me, always. its terrible...but i think im going to try waking at 4.30 in the morning, getting some tea, and writing till 8.00 or so. i need those hours when noone else is up.