PDA

View Full Version : A Board Game of Thrones

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

saintjon
August 16th, 2004, 08:32 AM
I finally got a chance to try this out a couple days ago and was super-impressed. Probably the best strategy board game I've ever played. The game mechanics are a little different, but they're really easy to learn and bring a surprising amount of depth to the game.

Oh I can't help but elaborate a little. There's no dice. The whole game is run with tokens, cards and little wood pieces (boy is it ever nice to find wood where you're expecting plastic :O). Everyone places orders for each of their territories by laying order tokens face down, which are then flipped at once (if you have the top spot for court influence you can change an order token on the spot). The different orders available add a lot, there's march, defend, consolidate power, support (a personal fave, you can throw that areas troops into ANY adjacent fight, whether it's between 2 other players or not on whichever side you choose!) raid (best order in the game) and um, hmm I think that's about it actually. Whenever there's a battle between 2 players you tally the unit strengths, order bonuses for each side and play a house card, each of which represents an ASoIaF character, who usually add extra combat power and dirty tricks (the lannister twins have particularly potent special traits) and if there's a tie whoever controls the iron throne (1st place on royalty track) decides the winner.

Anyways I can't wait to play it again. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes Risk, Romance of the 3 Kingdoms, or Axis and Allies and Samurai Swords (if anyone has played either of those). Think the company's url is www.fantasyflightgames.com check it out!

Eventine
August 19th, 2004, 03:30 AM
This was in my bookshop for a while. I posted on it in the GRRM forum a while back.
I wasn't game to pick it up though - I felt it had the potential for being a bit of a train wreck.

I'm not sure if I'll get it, but it might make a good christmas present for my sister though...

saintjon
August 19th, 2004, 08:16 AM
well if you've got 3 people at least available who are either into ASoIaF or strategy gaming then it's definitely worth it to have around. I wish I were back in Ottawa playing it right now :(.