PDA

View Full Version : Why Do You Want to Write Sci-fi or Fantasy?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

rwchandler
August 23rd, 2004, 10:44 PM
I find that the genre that has the most "aspiring" authors is the sci-fi/fantasy genre. Why is that? I too fall into this category. What drives us all to want to write in this area? Is it the thought of hitting it big? Is it the thought of creating our own worlds for others to enjoy just as much as we enjoyed Tolkien, etc.? What is it that sparks so many would be writers in this genre as opposed to say...crime novels or general fiction? If a thread like this has been posted already please forgive my ignorance.

Rob

JRMurdock
August 23rd, 2004, 11:20 PM
Ignorance is bliss. Trust me, I know.

I posted a thread earlier in the year (it's gone off the main page now) about why do you write. Not specifically the genre, but why.

For why I write Fantasy/Sci-Fi/(and sometimes Horror). Imagination. The real world, though it has it's twists and turns, in the end is predictable. I enjoy reading King and Koontz just fine, but for me, I want to write and create my own world where my characters live. I don't just want to use the pre-existing world for them to live in.

Writing Fantasy and sci-fi allows me to stretch my imagination to bounds I hadn't thought of before. It allows me to take what is impossible and explain why it's possible. It allows me to take a reason and bend it to my will. It allows me to use characters that are not bound by this reality. It allows me complete freedom without constraint. It empowers me.

And it's fun. :)

Rocket Sheep
August 24th, 2004, 02:17 AM
I blame the cold war for my science fiction.

Yep, that old turnip. The cold war, Dr Who, The Day of the Triffids, The Tomorrow People, Survivor, The War of the Worlds, The Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, The Blob, The Thing... and Monty Python. They are all to blame. In no way can anyone hold me responsible for what I do. It wasn't easy being a child in the 70s.

I think I write to disturb people, the way I was disturbed. ;)

rwchandler
August 24th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Both good responses lol. I have always been intrigued by that for some reason though. Why in the world there are so many aspiring authors in this genre. I think many people are intrigued by it and think its easy to write in a world you completely make up. In reality its often harder to create and maintain a believable world with believable characters than just writing a story set in our own world. I myself have been a fan of the genre for over 10 years. When I was 14 or 15 I got my first copy of Lord of the Rings and from then on became addicted. Thanks Professor Tolkien :D I hope one day it pays off.

Gallowglass
August 24th, 2004, 10:47 AM
Because there are stories in my head and if I don't let them out, they're going to gang up on me and drive me mad.

Of course, to hear some people talk, it may already be too late....

Hereford Eye
August 24th, 2004, 01:52 PM
To paraphrase George Bernard Shaw: I write because "I seen things as they are and ask what if? I dream things that never were and ask what if?" 'What if?' helps me comes to terms with why things are as they are.

KatG
August 24th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Actually, there are probably more aspiring writers hoping to write a thriller, murder mystery or literary novel than there are sf/f hopefuls. Not that there aren't a lot of aspiring sf/f writers, but it's not the biggest category. Romance used to have the most, but it's had a declining fan base, so that's probably not the case now.

I do think the fact that the sf/f community is very welcoming and encourages new people to try has something to do with the proliferation. Science fiction had the magazine market as its start which fed off lots of new, ambitious writers and welcomed them into the fold if they could prove they could deliver interesting stories. And up until about ten years ago or so, all the sf/f publishers looked at slush material, which wasn't always the case in other fields. Then there's the gaming industry, which promotes creative invention in sf/f stories and that led a lot of folk to try writing fantasy. And finally, perhaps the Internet, which is widely credited with causing a massive surge in the numbers of all types of aspiring writers, and it's fairly safe to say that sf/f fans were probably making more use of the Internet early on than other types of readers.

None of these are why I try to write the stuff, though. I have honestly thought of not writing it, and I am attempting to write some other kinds of stories as well because those projects interest me. But science fiction and fantasy stories have always resonated with me, since I was a kid. A lot of the ideas I get are sf or fantasy ideas. It doesn't seem to make much sense to turn away from something I love. And maybe that's the main reason there are so many aspiring sf/f writers now -- there are more people who love the genres. Or it's just seen as the popular cool kid on the block, who knows.

Rocket Sheep
August 24th, 2004, 07:03 PM
:confused: sf & f writers are nerds downunder. We have to meet secretly in dark alleys, talk in hushed whispers and lie to influential acquaintances about what we write.

WrayMiller
August 24th, 2004, 07:47 PM
For myself, Science Fiction is freedom! I write in other genre, but other categories of fiction have square boxes in which one much write. Science Fiction is an open galaxy. If, in ones storyline, something does not exist, in Science Fiction, it can be created. The impossible becomes possible, the absurd becomes the normal everyday occurrence. Science Fiction, both written and read, frees us of all limits and boundaries. It is what brings us closer to our incredible human potential. That's just my opinion.

James Barclay
August 25th, 2004, 10:23 AM
For me it was Sci Fi and fantasy because that was what I grew up reading and loving in film and in role playing games. Simple really but then that's me :)

NOM