PDA

View Full Version : Busman's Holiday - SF films for Scientists!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Hobbit
August 25th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Have a think for a minute.

What do you think the world's top scientists would say are their favourite Sf film/films or authors?

Now see if you're right. From the Internet today - This article (http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/entertainment/news/story.htm?linkfrom=Today&link=newsticker&article=A12203151093461086A0)

60 of the world's top scientists can't be wrong (or can they? :))

(Personally, I can't say I was too surprised at any of these, though my choice for what they would choose as top film was in second place).

Any agreements or disagreements? What film should they have included that isn't on the list? What authors are glaringly missing?

Hobbit

Shehzad
August 25th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Well Heinlein is missing for sure, as are some of the newer authors (Greg Bear and Robert Silverberg come to mind). Heinlein is probably the most glaring omission.

Leiali
August 26th, 2004, 09:15 AM
I really didn't like 2001: A Space Odyssey. I think the number 1 choice was definitely the best one. And I'm glad that The day the Earth Stood still is in there. Love that film. I can't say that I have an opinion on the authors. I haven't read the greats in science fiction for many years. Not even read any Stanislaw Lem..

Priestvyrce
August 26th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Well, these sixty scientists aren't wrong on their choices of movies and authors, at least according to me. Great picks all around.

kahnovitch
August 27th, 2004, 04:34 AM
Just quoting from the article....

"The panel of scientists were also asked to vote for their favourite authors, and Isaac Asimov topped the list for his novel I, Robot - just been made into a film starring Will Smith"

AHEM! his novel I Robot?
Nevermind. :rolleyes:

Shehzad
August 27th, 2004, 07:44 PM
MADE INTO A MOVIE STARRING WILL SMITH???

Blasphemy!