PDA

View Full Version : Exercise 12 - Research

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

JRMurdock
August 25th, 2004, 06:25 PM
We all love research, right? Sure thing. This one will be fun. Promise.

You hear words and Phrases all day long. Have you ever wondered where and when some of them came from? Look one up and let us know about it. Since this is a writing forum, you can convert your answer into a story (please don't plagiarize) or you can give a detailed explanation on how you found your explanation.

Some phrases we all know and love (you can use one of these, but they're easy ones)

Mind your P's and Q's
Store High In Transit
A dead ringer
Losing face

The list goes on and on and on so I'll stop and let you find one of your own to explore. Good luck. Please don't post links to sites with multiple entries. I'd like each person to look up his/her own phrase. Thanks.

Happy posting.

tingmakpuk
August 30th, 2004, 10:28 PM
Maybe it's just a regional thing, but I've never heard of 'Store High In Transit'.

How's it used?

Sammie
August 31st, 2004, 09:58 AM
I like this idea (hey thanks for keeping this stuff going, Maus!)

Here's a question that's now going to bug me til I answer it......what's the derivation of the word 'derivation'? :D

xayaxos
September 2nd, 2004, 06:49 AM
The apple of one's eye.

World Wide Words (http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-app1.htm)

Summarised as: the pupil of the eye was thought to be a solid object called the 'apple'. The phrase is used to describe something precious because sight was seen to be precious - at least, that is the meaning it appropriated.

xayaxos
September 2nd, 2004, 06:57 AM
......what's the derivation of the word 'derivation'? :D

French Dérivation or Latin derivatio.

xayaxos
September 2nd, 2004, 07:01 AM
Maybe it's just a regional thing, but I've never heard of 'Store High In Transit'. How's it used?

Ummm, LOL. Read this page: Fake Etymology (http://www.all-science-fair-projects.com/science_fair_projects_encyclopedia/Fake_etymology). Then you can discover the "apparent" origin of this "phrase". :rolleyes:

Jacquin
September 4th, 2004, 10:53 AM
I love Etymology.

Here are some of my favourites!

Cretin - From the French "Crétin," which originally meant "Christian."

Mistress - From the French "Maîtresse," which originally meant "bride."

And to add to what Xayaxos has said...

Derive - From the Latin "De Rivus," "From a stream."