PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek or Star Drek?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

matthewajg
October 19th, 2001, 09:03 AM
Who has been watching the newest incarnation in the Star Trek franchise, ENTERPRISE? For those of you who have, what do you think? Those who haven't should check it out to form their own opinions, but after watching three episodes now, I must say I am mightily disappointed. The stories are weak re-hashings of old Star Trek ideas, the production design looks more like STNG than it does old Star Fleet (no connection with the old series at all), there is scant little drama or conflict between the characters, and the cast is far from stellar (no pun intended). Scott Bakula is actually quite good as the captain, but I find myself wishing the rest of the crew will be killed on an away mission and they can get a new cast in. They are deadly dull, no really gripping drama or conflict between the characters which made all of the other series appealing. Even the very attractive actress they have playing the Vulcan science officer is annoyingly too logical to the point that I tune out her character immediately when on screen. Some major overhaul is in order, or this one's going to tank.

Songwind
October 22nd, 2001, 05:10 PM
I like it.

I thinks its cool the universe isn't perfect. That makes it more like any the original show, than any of newer shows ever dreamed of being.

This Enterprise crew are real explorers. They are like early pioneers, they go to see whats there, and they know darn well they might not come back, because its dangerous out there. I agree the char could use some more spunk, I think that will come with time.

Thank god it doesn't look like the original show. That would be seriously bizarre, especially if they used that annoying 60's music and sound effect.

Some other things I like.
*No miracle partical of the week.
*No universal translator.
*No transporter, also no transporter miricles.
*No one has said "make it so."
*No god like beings. (give them time I'm sure they'll mess this up.)
*The dog.

matthewajg
October 23rd, 2001, 03:49 AM
Yes, I agree, there are some good points in the show. But they need to be developed or the premise will fall flat. But I do feel that the visual look of the show it still to akin to shows like STNG and not the original series or even modern space craft. For my tastes, if they're going to dhow an "imperfect" early Starfleet (fleet of one it seems) the the grav plating going out is nice, but they DO have transporters and they seem a little too handy...plus the introduction of holo-technology in last weeks episode! I only wish that ENTERPRISES creators would allow the limitations and obstacles of new technology have a real impact on the show...everything's a little too clean and sleek. By the third episode; time travel, phasers, transporters and even holo-technology have all been either introduced or used. Let them REALLY be earlier space pioneers and "rough it" a bit more.
I do like the dog, too.

mundanemies
October 23rd, 2001, 05:03 AM
Porthos evidently rules!

I've watched every episode so far and will probably be doing so (I'm taping them for friends back home, or at least that's my excuse...).

I'm not too impressed. I want to like this serie, but the makers are making it so hard to. Logical Vulcan? I don't see any logical Vulcan anywhere, there is this sultry babe with pointy ears and very limited acting ability, whose character acts like a spoiled child. Humans are virtually inseparable, but somehow that seems to be the basic idea, letting them grow as the serie goes on and hopefully gets more livelier.

And the aliens? What the four-letter-word! Klingots? And Alien of the Week? Where are all the oldies but goodies? Yeah, there was this (can't for the sake of my life remember the correct "race") terrian(?) with "new" look (were these the "pig-people" of the TOS?), but other than that nothing.

Now, I like the basic premise, but this is just so badly written drama that the contrast, when changing from UPN to NBC at Wednesdays, is... galaxy-spanning. If it's SF, it can't possibly be good Or great writing? Not to mention intelligent?

They do have transporters. And I too like them using different wording and orders, though I'm certain we'll see these developing. Maybe even into "familiar".
And the scene where klingon-captain says: "I can see my house from here!" was priceless! More of this!

Perkele! http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

Ravenlock
November 1st, 2001, 06:48 AM
I didn't see the series when it first started since I don't get UPN. When I went home for the weekend I watched the premiere with my friend and then he lent me the other three episodes he had recorded. I must say that I too like the dog. I am a big star trek fan, and as such feel that I must give the series a chance. I am not impressed so far. I also felt that it wasn't compatable with the original series, but my friend pointed out to me we have cooler hand help gadgets then they did on the original series. I also think that the vulcan is really annoying. On the other had I love Deep Space Nine, and it didn't have all that great of a beginning

matthewajg
November 2nd, 2001, 02:33 AM
Point well made...even STNG got off to a rocky start. I remember an episode (very early on) when it looked like Capt. Picard might bite the dust, and I cheered thinking, "Now Riker can be Captain, and that stodgy old Englsihman can toddle on back to the Royal Shakespeare Company!" Riker seemed much more akin to Capt. Kirk, the traditional adventurous risk-taker. Picard took a season or two to develop beyond the anal-retentive child-hater he began as, and now I couldn't imagine a Star Trek without him as captain. So...perhaps ENTERPRISE will grow and develop into as gripping a series as it's anscestors...one can hope anyway.

Cygnus
November 2nd, 2001, 05:25 PM
"I can see my house from here!" I don't think any line in any star trek series has made me laugh more!

I'm not a huge fan of the Enterprise, but I'm sticking with it. I like that they're more like us than Kirk or Picard or any of the others. They took group photos when they landed on a planet.. which of us wouldn't? And they marvel at seeing Earth as a distant star in an alien sky.

My favorite character so far is the doctor, he's so straight-faced funny. Though the dog is a close second! http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

Carmichael
November 19th, 2001, 10:39 AM
I enjoyed watching ENTERPRISE. The episode that brought back the Andorians was a nice touch. The series is less touchy-feely than STNG was. I also like the fact that this ship isn't as powerful as the current Enterprise. They actually can bite off more than they can chew. Unlike STNG towards the end of the run where they seemed to be capable of taking on entire fleets and coming through without a scratch. I found that I had stopped watching Next Gen after the 4th or so season because I got tired of the fate of the universe resting on Picards shoulders almost every week. And when they made time travel commonplace. . . Buh bye. It got a little old. Not that I have seen a comment on this anywhere in the SFFWORLD forums, but for the people who complain that this ship looks more advanced than the Enterprise of the original series. . . I don't think todays viewers would go for a 15 foot wooden model anymore. Now that I had my rant, Ima gone.

Carmichael