PDA

View Full Version : I Just Bought (DVD)

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

FicusFan
August 26th, 2004, 09:37 PM
I couldn't find a thread like this in TV & Films, so I thought I would start one similar to the one about books.

I just bought

Kindred the Embraced the complete 2 disc set. It was a TV series (8 episodes) that ran in the 90's on US TV. It is about vampires using the clans and some of the stuff from White Wolf's Role Playing games. Though apparently not real faithful to the RPG and many who should have been the core audience hated it for being WOD lite. I had it in VHS, but lost part of the tapes. So when I saw on Amazon that it was out on DVD I picked it up locally.

I also got the first season of The Office. I like Britcoms and had heard it was funny. I don't have cable or dish, and it isn't on any of my PBS stations so I had never seen it. So far not so good. It isn't funny and most of the actors look like somethig that has died and been left in the fridge for 2-3 weeks. Not sure if it gets better or what, but it is so awkward that it is almost painful to watch.

Leiali
August 27th, 2004, 06:35 AM
The Office. So far not so good. It isn't funny and most of the actors look like somethig that has died and been left in the fridge for 2-3 weeks. Not sure if it gets better or what, but it is so awkward that it is almost painful to watch.

That is the point of it. It is a pastiche of office politics. I don't like it much as it is too close to reality to be funny for me. I had a boss like that once and he didn't make me laugh. I have seen a couple of interesting episodes, but it is too cringeworthy for me.

Kanin
August 27th, 2004, 08:15 AM
I couldn't find a thread like this in TV & Films, so I thought I would start one similar to the one about books.

I just bought

Kindred the Embraced the complete 2 disc set. It was a TV series (8 episodes) that ran in the 90's on US TV. It is about vampires using the clans and some of the stuff from White Wolf's Role Playing games. Though apparently not real faithful to the RPG and many who should have been the core audience hated it for being WOD lite. I had it in VHS, but lost part of the tapes. So when I saw on Amazon that it was out on DVD I picked it up locally.

I also got the first season of The Office. I like Britcoms and had heard it was funny. I don't have cable or dish, and it isn't on any of my PBS stations so I had never seen it. So far not so good. It isn't funny and most of the actors look like somethig that has died and been left in the fridge for 2-3 weeks. Not sure if it gets better or what, but it is so awkward that it is almost painful to watch.

Kindred is great. Like you, I picked it up to replace my worn out VCR tapes. It's too bad that the actor who played Julian Luna, Mark Frankel, was killed in a motorcycle accident when the series was being filmed. I though he did a really good job.

I'm a huge DVD buyer. I have 400 in my library now and I usually pick up a couple every week.

Let's see....

My recent pick-ups:

Predator SE
Millinneum: Season 1
Superman II
Hildago
Day of the Dead
Deep Rising

Cymric
August 27th, 2004, 09:03 AM
I Just bought
Last exile vol 4
Twelve Kingdoms Vol 1
Neil Gaimans Neverwhere ( a BBC adaptation of the book that is sold here in the US as a disc set)
The Cooler ( a very good movie )

FicusFan
August 27th, 2004, 11:13 PM
Kindred is great. Like you, I picked it up to replace my worn out VCR tapes. It's too bad that the actor who played Julian Luna, Mark Frankel, was killed in a motorcycle accident when the series was being filmed. I though he did a really good job.

I'm a huge DVD buyer. I have 400 in my library now and I usually pick up a couple every week.

Let's see....

My recent pick-ups:

Predator SE
Millinneum: Season 1
Superman II
Hildago
Day of the Dead
Deep Rising

I remember the thing about Luna and it shutting the series down - though I don't think the ratings were good either.

I don't buy that many, but I do like to buy older stuff that I like when it comes on the market.

I also don't always get to see the moive at the cinema because it takes me so long to decide to go that the movie is gone. And not having cable it is only on DVD (or VHS ) that I can see them. I tried the renting thing and could never watch them and return them in the alotted time. :(

Right now I am waiting for the price on Mystic River to go down, and for Troy to come out and for The West Wing Season 3 and 4 to come out. Though when they do I may never opt to deal with real life again :eek: Just playing the sets back to back to back.

I also may order some vampire movies from Amazon:
Modern Vampires
Vampire Journals
Near Dark
Ultraviolet (a UK TV Series)

I am also trying to decide whether or not to break down and start buying the DVD version of Dark Shadows (US TV Show). There are something like 14 sets, and they are outrageously expensive ($60.00) and a bunch of them at the start are in Black & White. I dislike B&W and hate watching anything in it. On top of that the series doesn't start at the beginning, but at episode 22 or something like that.

There is a local chain here called Newbury Comics that sells used as well as new DVDS, so I may need to go there to look for some bargains on the more expensive sets, but it is just such a noisy, crowded, place. :(

saintjon
August 30th, 2004, 10:26 AM
I picked up What Dreams May Come a few days ago. I'd been meaning to see it for years but never got around to it. It wasn't quite what I expected, which isn't to say I thought it was very good regardless. If only more directors used CG as a story element rather than ornamentation.

Kanin
August 30th, 2004, 06:34 PM
I picked up a few sets this past weekend and a couple stand alones:

Stargate SG-1: Season 2 and Season 3

I got hooked on this show recently and needed to catch up on the back episodes. Already finished watching Season 1, which I bought a month ago and will start Season 2 soon.

We Were Soldiers: I saw this in the theater and loved it, saw it priced right at Wal-Mart, and I couldn't pass it up.

Shade: A nice little heist/con/poker movie, starring Sly Stallone, Jamie Foxx, Gabriel Bryne, and Stuart Townsend.

Shehzad
August 30th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Just ordered the first season boxed set of Jeremiah. Should arrive any time now...

FicusFan
August 30th, 2004, 09:03 PM
I picked up a few sets this past weekend and a couple stand alones:

We Were Soldiers: I saw this in the theater and loved it, saw it priced right at Wal-Mart, and I couldn't pass it up.

I have heard they have special edited versions of music, movies and books that they sell a Wal-Mart. So that the 'morally objectionable' parts are removed. They are big enough to get the studios to do it apparently. It was in the news several years ago when some indy music people objected very loudly. Haven't heard much about it recently, but I won't buy any of that stuff at Wal-Mart.

Shehzad
August 30th, 2004, 10:55 PM
I have heard so too, but I know for a fact that only the "edited" versions of albums are available at Wal-Mart. I've heard rumors about the movies, but haven't confirmed them.