PDA

View Full Version : Need Help from Aussie/UK TV Watchers

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

FicusFan
August 26th, 2004, 08:45 PM
There was a series that ran on my local PBS station in the US- though they never showed the title page, so I have no idea what the name of it was. I was wondering if someone who had seen it could tell me the name of it.

It was about the set up for the Australian Olympic games, I think it might have been the local organizing committee. Anyway there were quite a lot of shows and it was all about the politics and absurdity of trying to set up the venues and stage the games, and deal with all the important people in the international olympic movement. The actors all had Australian accents - but I don't know if it was Aussie-made or from the UK. It was very funny and I wanted to see if it had been put out on DVD, but I don't know the name, and when I search on Olympics I get all the real sports stuff.

The last show had the main characters all on a plane heading for Greece to try to get jobs with their committee.

Thanks

Eventine
August 26th, 2004, 08:52 PM
Hmmm - it might have been The Games, not sure as I didn't watch it much though. It was a comedy right?

FicusFan
August 26th, 2004, 09:07 PM
Yes it was a comedy. I remember in one episode they had an inspection from the international committee for venues that weren't built yet and they were working out ways to fool them that the sites were there.

Thanks I will try The Games and see if I can find anything on it. :)

FicusFan
August 26th, 2004, 09:23 PM
I think I found it on a web site for memorable TV:

THE GAMES

ABC-Beyond Productions / x60m-e / 1998-2000

Creators: John Clarke, Ross Stevenson / Music: Jeremy Smith / Producers: Denise Eriksen (1998), Mark Duge (2000)

Comedy drama series. An irreverent, pseudo documentary style series where the film crew have carte blanche access to the fictional managing body of the Sydney Organising Committee of the Olympic Games (SCCCG) , as they attend meetings, briefings, site inspections and press conferences. The Games takes a behind the scenes, warts and all view of the 'Committee' at work. ABC scheduled season two so that the 13 episodes ran until the week before the opening of the Olympics on 15 September, as outrageous as many of the storylines were they were allegedly nothing compared to the real life SOCOG.

With:- JOHN CLARKE / GINA RILEY / BRYAN DAWE / NICHOLAS BELL / BARRIE CASSIDY / ROSS STEVENSON / LOUISE SIVERSEN

Thanks, not sure it is on DVD though. But I think this is it. :)

Eventine
August 26th, 2004, 09:46 PM
http://shop.abc.net.au/browse/product.asp?productid=703708