View Full Version : Buffy and Angel

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

mistressoftheforce
September 4th, 2000, 08:59 PM
Does anyone feel that Buffy and Angel are series that should recieve recognition as a fantasy series? Why?

Cobra
September 26th, 2000, 07:55 AM
Yeah, I agree....what other category do they fit under? They're not really horror or drama...I guess fantasy is the best one to stick them in.

Umesha Chalanie
March 3rd, 2001, 08:04 PM
Yeah, definetly, although like many things, it can also be catergorised under other headings.

Do shows like that not include the typical fantasy elements of good fighting evil while struggling to find love? Of quests to protect the riteous? Of demons and monsters, and most importantly, forms of magic?

Also, while on the topic of Buffy and Angel (and the Charmed series, also), what does everyone think about these? Thumbs up or down?

Erebus
March 5th, 2001, 08:50 PM
Buffy and Angel, a definite thumbs up. Good acting, witty scripts etc. etc. As for Charmed, well the sisters are great to look at, but I feel the scripts are a little lacking and definitely cliche at times! Needless to say, my wife and I watch them all!

mistressoftheforce
March 11th, 2001, 03:52 PM
I totally love Charmed as well. But because I'm in Australia we see Buffy ages behind the American's and when I saw that they had introduced a sister, Dawn, into the mix I was wondering what was going on! How did she get there and why hadn't she ever been introduced into the story before?
And to answer Umesha's question, I think that fantasy has to have an element of magic and mysticism to make it work. ( Demon's and Witches are alway's good )Though there has to be a quest of some sort involved, take Buffy, Angel and Charmed. All involve saving "innocent's", and the age old Good versus Evil also comes into it. All are fighting against something bigger than themselves, the are playing a part, a role, to save the world/town/country etc.

mistressoftheforce
http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

Shehzad
March 11th, 2001, 06:50 PM
What about Teen Fantasy... how about that category?

Umesha Chalanie
March 17th, 2001, 06:51 PM
I'm gonna be a pain and start bagging Buffy - I think that Buffy's quality is going down. The character combination of ex-Miss. Popularity, computer geek and goofball has been completely screwed around. And thats why I liked the show - the characters. I have to admit, the plots and storylines are getting better - more dark and deep.

And with Charmed I have a MAJOR problem. Why is it that they always do not believe Prue/Piper/Pheobe when they report something strange, blaming it on stress or whatever, when they have met strange things like that in the past that turn out to be deadly? This seems to me to be the behaviour of a 'normal' person rather than a witch.

Belderan
June 14th, 2001, 03:36 AM
Buffy yes, angel no. It's awful! I love Buffy, but the last series was a bit lame, i think Angel should come back to Sunnydale, kill Riley and sweep Buffy off her feet once more taking her to his palace in the clouds. No? dont tell me thats not possible because they turned the mayor into a giant snake, stupid CGI thing!

polgara
June 14th, 2001, 05:23 AM
I can see your point(get it point)LOL http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/wink.gif

FitzChivalry
June 14th, 2001, 11:01 AM
Umm.. the genre of the series has nothing to do with its quality, there is bad fantasy you know.
Anyway, i like the Angel series, now i get double vampires time every week. And the Angel/Buffy plotline was stuck, they couldn't do anything, time to move on.