PDA

View Full Version : DVD's - bestest for Xmas?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Hobbit
December 2nd, 2001, 12:15 PM
Ok - Santa's arrived early at Hobbit Towers and brought me a DVD player, and a nice copy of Gladiator (and some other not so good DVD's to play!)

So - bearing in mind that it's a Region 2 player (that's Europe, and I'm not sure about the multiregion aspect!) what SF/Fantasy DVD's would you recommend?

I should point out that a lot of the old 'classics' I've got on video (erm, Blade Runner, Metropolis, Day The Earth Stood Still etc) so it's a bit more than a 'best film of all time' idea - some of these might be worth it if they are really special for the DVD. (though I have noticed a difference in sound and picture quality!)

Knowing the knowledgable group we have, I thought I'd ask you for suggestions.

Any thoughts, people?

Hobbit

Keyoke
December 2nd, 2001, 04:11 PM
DVD players are hot this year, I am getting one too.. http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

As to what movies.. Well, classic wise.. You have to get the War of the Worlds! Or the Time Machine!

Final Fantasy:Spirit Within is nice looking on a DVD too..

Maybe the Phantom Menace??

Keyoke

Rob B
December 3rd, 2001, 02:28 AM
Let's see...

X-Men is a pretty good DVD, has some interesting extras, a scene with Spider-Man.

The Abyss-a groundbreaking Science Fiction film for its Special effects. It has one of the best features I've ever seen on a DVD-you can watch the film with director/film comments in the black underneath the letterboxed film. Gives you cool, but 'useless' facts about the film. Sort of like Pop-up video.

Gladiator is a great one, but you've got it.

I'm hoping to get ShreK for Christmas.

woody
December 3rd, 2001, 06:31 AM
2001:A Space Odyssey
The Thing (Carpenter remake)
Aliens (Directors cut)
Any Laurel& Hardy
Any Bilko (see Doberman in glorious grayscale)

Be seeing ye.

Hobbit
December 3rd, 2001, 06:54 AM
These are all good suggestions!

War of the Worlds/Time Machine/2001/ - all excellent (Time Machine is one of my faves, even though either are nothing like the books!) but have both on video. Are there any 'extras' on DVD?

Shrek we've already bought for the kids on video. Final Fantasy is a good idea (saw it at the cinema) but I don't think it's out here in the UK until Jan.

Abyss - yes, thought of this one (even though there's a scene in it I really hate!) and the Alien/Aliens is already on the list. I did think about T2 (for the extras rather than the film though to be honest!)

Phantom Menace & X Men - have both on video, though I might be persuaded to buy either on DVD if pressed hard enough.

Have already thought about Blade Runner, even though there's not a lot extra on the DVD and I already have it on video.

So - still thinking, but a good list so far. Any others?

Hobbit

kray3
December 3rd, 2001, 07:40 AM
hmm
although i havent seen it for awhile,
i think the DVD for "Willow" is out.

and and amost forgot.. there's also "Krull"

[This message has been edited by kray3 (edited December 03, 2001).]

SusF
December 3rd, 2001, 04:19 PM
Princess Bride! Hehehe.

Question: are DVD players now on a standard? I won't end up holding the Betamax equivalent in three years if they change formats will I?

Don't have one yet...

Susan

Hobbit
December 4th, 2001, 10:52 AM
To be honest, Susan, I've held out until now.

It's more a case of pressure from the rest of the family that's persuaded me - that and the fact that I can see/hear the picture and sound are better, I won't shred favourite tapes and that I can just about get DVD's for the same price as a video tape (though I understand it is more than say in the US, for example!).

Hobbit

SusF
December 4th, 2001, 02:35 PM
I'm still waiting. For what, I'm not sure. We were the last to get a CD player, too. Matter of fact, we got one as a gift. I guess I'm waiting for Christmas, hehe.

There are tapes I want to buy, but don't want to buy them if we're going to be getting a DVD player, knowwhatImean?.

Susan

DarthV
December 12th, 2001, 01:25 AM
I wouldn't bother with Blade Runner, the current DVD is not worth it. They is a re-release in the works and should be out sometime in 2002.

Here's some suggestions :

Blade
Stargate Special Edition
The Princess Bride Collector's Edition
Willow
Starship Troopers
Fifth Element Superbit

A GOOD subwoofer would be a nice idea to go with your DVD setup. What kind of equipment do you have to go with it ?