View Full Version : Lord of the Rings: Best Movie of the Millenium

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Kyleran
December 21st, 2001, 05:13 PM
Moderator Note
Kyleran: I closed this topic because of the already existing discussion a few topics above on the LotR film. The moderators and members agreed prior to the film to keep the discussion to one thread to avoid multiple threads.
~~FitzFlagg~~

I've been waiting for a Lord of the Rings movie for many long years and now realize
that only 21st century visual effects could do it justice. The timing was perfect. When
I first heard they were planning on it a few years ago, I was naturally excited but also
apprehensive. Hollywood has a tendency to do hatchet jobs especially in the last 10 years.
Expectations can run high and its easy to be shot down like a Zero-fighter.

I instantly connected to the movie. It has an elemental surreal feel that sends me into
metaphysical ecstasy. It even reached heights of Shakespearean drama. While some may quibble about minor details, it has what you would want of a movie adaptation: following the major sequences and capturing the essence of the book. The cinematography and special effects were so gorgeous I nearly wept with joy. The acting was passionate and real. The thing that really came across was the addictive power of the One Ring and therefore symbolizing power in general. The message is
simple yet powerful: the key to enlightenment is resisting the temptation of absolute power.

Power Corrupts....and absolute power corrupts.....absolutely!

In all the universe there is only one exception.

I leave you with one of my favorite quotes from The Return of the King as stated by
Gandalf (oddly I didn't notice it when I first read the book but it was brought to my attention when I read M. Scott Peck's book on evil, People of the lie: the hope for healing human evil, where he mentions the quote in relation to approaching an understanding of evil):

"Other evils there are that may come; for Sauron is himself but a servant or emissary.
Yet it is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule."

I suppose it is no accident we have such an important movie that deals with good and evil
after the horrendous events of 9/11. I pray we can come together to ensure freedom endures and peace will eventually be a reality.

Kyleran

[This message has been edited by FitzFlagg (edited December 22, 2001).]