PDA

View Full Version : A Question Regarding the classic Prince of Persia computer game and Disney's Aladdin

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Zsinj
September 9th, 2004, 06:08 PM
I was thinking about this just the other day. Could the movie Disney's Aladdin partially be an homage to the classic computer game Prince of Persia?
Why I'm asking this is because, although I haven't read the original tale of "Aladdin and His Magical Lamp", I'm pretty sure that it didn't involve a sorceror named Jafar and a princess named Jasmine, or the political intrigue elements. What I think these come from are the game Prince of Persia, because the storyline of Prince of Persia is that there is this Sultan of Persia, who has this daughter (I don't think her name is Jasmine, though) he also has this Vizier who is also a sorceror named Jafar. Jafar puts a spell on the sultan and forces the princess to marry him, and plans to ascend to the throne by killing the sultan. At the beginning of the game, Jafar locks the princess in her room with a big hourglass, and when that hourglass runs down, the princess will either have to marry him or die. Your character, a prince of another part of Persia, is in love with the princess and so is the princess with him. Jafar orders the royal guards to throw him in the dungeons, where you must journey through to get to the princess.
Sound familiar?