PDA

View Full Version : Manga - Where to start.....

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Eldanuumea
September 10th, 2004, 02:10 PM
I noticed an eye-catching display of hundreds of manga titles to choose from at the local Suncoast Video outlet, and I am bewildered about where to begin.

I was thinking that these would be great to supply for my classroom. But I am not sure which authors would be best, which would be the most PG-13, etc.

Can anyone help me out? Make a recommendation, so I don't blow in huge amounts of money experimenting....?

BeardofPants
September 10th, 2004, 02:32 PM
You're after manga (graphic novels) not anime (movies)? Either way, you can't go wrong with Akira! Awesome read, but also a decent movie as well.

Eldanuumea
September 10th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Yes, graphic novels.....the ones I saw looked fun and exciting to read, and I know many students would get into them. Thanks for the suggestion.

BeardofPants
September 11th, 2004, 02:26 AM
No problem. Are you just after asian graphic novels? Cos Watchmen is also an astounding read, and I've heard that the Sandman series by Neil Gaiman is supposed to be really good as well (have just picked up the first one today, so I'll let you know if it's worth perusing).

Vladimir
September 11th, 2004, 06:51 AM
I've always been a big fan of Battle Angel Alita (http://www.abcb.com/gunnm/) but perhaps that's not something to bring to school.. 'One Piece', on the other hand, is a big hit with a coule of my younger cousins Random url (http://www.sleepisfortheweak.org/reviews/onepiece/)

Eldanuumea
September 11th, 2004, 07:14 AM
I've been wanting to get one of the Sandman graphic novels......couldn't put those in the classroom, though!

fluffy bunny
September 11th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Is it specifically manga you're looking for (ie the Japanese stuff), or comics/graphic novels in general?

What age are the children in your classroom? (to avoid some of the more 'adult' orientated stuff- sex and violence etc).

Whatever you decide on, feel free to ask the person behind the counter to unwrap one or two of them for you to peruse though (so you can guage for yourself before before spending money)

Eldanuumea
September 11th, 2004, 10:13 AM
This display was different from the graphic novel section of BAM. These were all slightly smaller than trade paper-size, looked Japanese......all seemed to read back to front......there were dozens and dozens of different titles.
My students are 14-18, all ninth graders......and this is a very conservative community.

BeardofPants
September 11th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Anything by Alan Moore, but some of it might be a bit "adult". I think Akira or Watchmen are both your best bets. They both have discussion value in terms of ideals, morals, etc ("Who watches the Watchmen?"). For yourself, you should definitely read the "Sin City" series (it's not as bad as it sounds); they're all beautifully drawn, and have wonderful complexity.