PDA

View Full Version : Writer's Market

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Rob B
September 13th, 2004, 03:04 PM
I keep putting it off, but I'm finally going to get around to purchasing one of the annual Writer's Market books. Has anybody here picked up either 2005 Writers Market (or any previous year) or the 2005 Novel & Short Story Writer's Market (or any previous year). If so, any thoughts on the differences between the two?

I've seen many published (U.S.) writers cite Writers Market as an indespensible publication.

JRMurdock
September 13th, 2004, 07:38 PM
I think the 2004 editor was great... as a door stop.

I'll explain why.

90% of the contests listed were expired by the time I got the book (in Jan 2004). Over half the online mags were no longer available (dead links or not updated in over a year). I sent out many query letters to agents that were no longer in business, etc, etc, etc.

I got very frustrated and ever since I found Ralan (and Spicy Green Iguana) I decided that it's best to find all the info I need online (and it's free). Spend the $$ and pick up a Barclay, Wasner, Radthorne, or any other author that posts here. Help them out and use the web (like this forum) for networking. It's been helping me out. :). I've sold 7 stories so far this year. Still trying to sell that book though.

KatG
September 14th, 2004, 10:17 AM
What might be more helpful is any specialized directory Writer's Market puts out for science fiction/fantasy, with the understanding that publishers and agents are swamped, but it would at least have some detailed info about them.

I hit the Ralan site, which is a really nice thing for him to do, for marketing a short story, and I have to say I was a little sad about the state of that market. I had heard hints that it's on the rebound, but it doesn't look it, compared to ten years ago. The best odds seem to be if you're writing horror and dark fantasy, for which there are many magazines. There are many more webzines than print mags at this point, but they seem to have some odd set-ups. There's also a big interest in flash fiction -- 1,000 words or less, so Juzzuza, get cracking on that beasty bit of yours. :)

JRMurdock
September 14th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Just bear in mind, the web is a wonderful thing. A book with data such as this could be out of date before it sees print. The 2004 that I bought had contests that had dates in 2003! The book came out in Jan 2004. I found so many missing web sites, out of business publishers, etc,etc. Perhaps 2004/2003 was just a bad year for editors/publishers. I didn't get what I wanted out of the book (and I did get the Fantasy/Sci Fi book).

Though, on another note, they do have a web site that you can sign up for and you get a discount if you buy the book. My guess is that the web site would be a lot more current and if I recall, it was only $29.95 per year. I could be wrong. :)

and yes, the market for short stories is much better than books, but still brutal.

Abby
September 14th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Maus is right; the web is a great resource. I think the Writer's Market Guide is useful for finding the markets that don't have a website, and don't advertise online . . . but every year, there are less of those. The major print publishers all have websites to keep up their business. There are a few small press print publishers that don't have websites, but only a handful.

Here's another great resource for finding short story/flash markets: http://engine.freeshell.org/

And if you want to keep up with the novel publishing industry, you could subscribe to the Publisher's Lunch newsletter at http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/
It's free, up-to-date news.

Rob B
September 14th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Thanks for all the pointers...

I had Ralan's Web site bookmarked, then my computer died a couple of months ago, very good site. I had a bunch of writerly bookmarks, too.

I'll save my money...er rather add something instead of it to my amazon.com wish list.

Some general advice I've seen is know the market you want to publish in. If you want to publish short stories, in the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Ficiton (http://www.sfsite.com/fsf/), buy it and read it, and so on.

Abby
September 14th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Yup. Good advice. I just wish I had oodles of reading time to take it!
But I do try to read at least one issue of every major magazine and anthology, and one story or two from the semi-pros.

Chris G.
September 18th, 2004, 06:45 PM
Every internet source i went to said, get an agent, get an agent, get anfent...infinity.

I picked up the Writer's market and there were like 6 agents listed who accepted fantasy submissions. I took the book back and got back my $36.00