PDA

View Full Version : 97 Word to 03 Word??

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

St. Rapier
September 13th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Well this is my first post on this forum, although i've been a guest here for quite some time. But anyways, my question is, Is it possible to run '97 Word documents on '03 Word? I have some short stories on a floppy disk and would like to transfer them to this computer (the only one in the house with internet) so i might submit them, but when i try to even open them from the disk it says "scanning for viruses" at the bottom left hand corner, wont open the document, and eventually stops responding. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

JRMurdock
September 13th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Try doing a virus scan on the floppy and/or moving the files off the floppy and onto your computer. It's possible that they're infected.

I was able to migrate my files from '97 to XP and I had a similar issue with viruses.

Dawnstorm
September 14th, 2004, 12:26 PM
You could try to save the file in "rich text format". (save as... scroll down to *.rtf). This keeps the formatting but gets rid of macros, which seem to be the main reason for incompatibilities.

If you haven't got lot's of formatation in your stories a simple *.txt file might work even better.

Bardos
September 14th, 2004, 05:36 PM
Don't open them from the disk. Copy/paste them to your HD. Then, check them for viruses.

Or, if you think that they have no viruses, close the virus-scan programm and then open or copy the files.

St. Rapier
September 14th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Excellent! The rich text format worked. Thanks everyone who replied.