Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Mister Mojo
December 29th, 2001, 05:28 PM
I've been researching books on the history of the SF movie but haven't found
one I like yet. I am teaching a class on SF / Horror films and would like to
find a good textbook. (Don't worry, I'm not going in blind. I know the
genre quite well, though older films more than last 20 years.)
Anybody out there who might be able to offer suggestions?

James Barclay
January 3rd, 2002, 03:14 AM
You might wantto try this - it's about SF in general but deals pretty well with film and TV as well as the written word and has decent historical content. I got this info from amazon.co.uk. Hope it helps.

The Mammoth Encyclopedia of Science Fiction
George Mann
Paperback - 623 pages (26 July, 2001)
Constable Robinson; ISBN: 1841191779

Synopsis
This encyclopedia is the most up-to-date, concise, clear and affordable guide to all aspects of science fiction, from its background to generic themes and devices, from authors (established and new) to films. Science fiction has evolved into one of the most popular, cutting-edge and exciting fiction geners, with a proliferation of modern and classic authors, themes and ideas, movies, TV series and awards. Arranged in an A-Z format, and featuring a comprehensive index and cross-referencing system, The Mammoth Encyclopedia of Science Fiction is also the most accessible and easy to use encyclopedia of its kind currently available.

lior
January 3rd, 2002, 08:49 AM
I read this book. It contains a lot of info about sf movies and tv shows, but the info is in the form of half a page to a page reviews, and is fine for the ordinary sf fan, (I personally found very enjoyable) but I don't know if it will suit teaching or academic reqirements. The author selected 100 movies and tv shows in accordance with his personal taste.