PDA

View Full Version : Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Evil Agent
September 18th, 2004, 07:38 PM
Just saw it last night, on opening day. I thought it was pretty cool!

When I first saw the trailer, I thought "Man, that might suck. Nothing but special effects". Don't get me wrong, I love effects. But a bit of good acting and dialogue goes a long way to stop a film from being nothing BUT effects. This movie DID end up having some decent acting, funny moments (without over the top comic relief characters), and some cool story points (although nothing too deep).

I think a big part of what made it work is that Paltrow, Law, and Jolie are all pretty good actors, apparently stage trained, and can act despite being surrounded by NOTHING BUT BLUE SCREEN! This is what the newest Star Wars films were lacking, good actors!

The 1940s look was really cool, stopped it from being unrealistic or cheesy by making it surreal.

The only thing I think it need was a bit more running time.. it seemed a bit short and some parts were rushed. An extended DVD cut would be sweet.

Dominus
September 19th, 2004, 12:17 AM
Cool, I was waiting to see if anyone liked it before I plopped down money. Now, are there any parts that a girl might cry at? You know, in case I brought one....lol.

fluffy bunny
September 19th, 2004, 07:27 AM
This is what the newest Star Wars films were lacking, good actors!

I thought it was good actors, but crap script to work with. But Sky Captain does sound good :rolleyes:

Shehzad
September 19th, 2004, 10:30 PM
I enjoyed it. Good atmosphere, great effects, a good tribute to old movies and comics. The acting and interaction between the characters was fun, but the plot was a bit thin. Overall, pretty good.

Archren
September 19th, 2004, 11:57 PM
I'll pretty much echo Shezad here. Cool effects, fun movie, not too much on dialog but actors did a good job. Basically: fun movie.

BTW, no crying from the female persuasion, I'm afraid. No leaping into lap from fright either. Darn! ;)

FicusFan
September 25th, 2004, 03:49 PM
I will have to say that while seeing it I felt like I was enduring the longest 1 hour and X number of minutes of my entire life. It just lay there like a flabby side of beef. The pacing was awful, no real excitement, no suspense. It felt so slow that is was like there was someone sitting in the booth using a clicker to move from one static scene to the next.

I loved the look of it. It was stunning.

I also thought the characters and the story were ok, in a very shallow action flick sort of way.

I thought they couldn't decide whether to be a plot/character oriented story or a special-effects driven story, and so managed to do both poorly.

I don't know whether to call them homages or rip-offs, but they used Jurasic Park (dinos), Conan the Barbarian (breaking into Mt. Doom), Lost Horizons (Shang-ri-La), The Wizard of Oz (face from the power poles), and I am sure a lot of other movies I have seen but can't remember the name (WWII Movies, Japanese monster movies, old Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers shorts). So perhaps it was because it was a patchwork of other films rather than a complete new one that it didn't have any energy.

But for me it just didn't gel into a good movie. Still I may buy the DVD when it comes out - just for the visuals.

Eldanuumea
October 3rd, 2004, 05:07 PM
It was certainly artistically fun to watch, clever overall retro feel.......but I agree with FicusFan, something didn't gel. I actually found myself getting drowsy right past the middle.
I enjoyed it, because it was so unique visually, and let's face it, Jude Law and Gwyneth Paltrow could cough and sputter and I'd enjoy watching them.
But I was looking for a little aomething more.
Still, overall, I would recommend seeing it, if only for the visual interest.

Abby
October 16th, 2004, 04:59 PM
The guy who wrote and directed that movie went through the animation program that I went through, so I was eager to see it and support a fellow alumni. But in the end, I was disappointed. One review said something like This movie sacrifices character and plot in favor of nostalgia and tribute. I completely agree with that review. Man, that guy LUCKED OUT by getting Jude Law and Gwenyth Paltrow to sign on, and he flubbed it.

Dominus
October 17th, 2004, 01:05 AM
I saw it a few days ago and have to agree with the overall consensus, it was a really cool visual style and feel, but other than that, lacking. If they had taken like an hour longer to flesh things out more, it could've been a really good movie.